How to compute ABV for added honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigken462

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I brewed 12 gallons of Kolsch a month back and split it into two batches. One was to be an experimental batch for me using honey in the seconday.

I had a 1.051 OG and it finished out to 1.012 before I transferred. I then added two lbs of honey. It took it a while, but fermentation is ever so lowly picking up. Mostly just microbubbles, but they are constant.

Is there a way to recompute the ABV since I added in the honey? or is this just one of those times that you just go with what ever it gives ya? It's going to be a while before I have a spare keg, so I'm just going to let it sit for a while longer to do it's thing. Probably will keg it in 3-4 weeks.

Two pounds of honey in six gallons will add 12 points to your gravity. Use your OG+1.012 as your "honeyed OG". Once it ferments out, that is the FG reading you'll use. Then compute ABV.

It's unlikely that the honey will ferment out completely, because honey has zero nutrients that yeast need for fermentation, and the nutrients that were in the beer have were already consumed. Expect your FG to be higher than 1.012.

Latest posts

Back