Noob recipe advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your grain bill looks fine for a simple pale ale or blonde ale. Good start.

Your hop schedule? That's a different story. A low alpha acid hop like your Saaz only giving you 5 or 6 IBUs as a 45 minute addition doesn't make a lot of sense. If you just want a super smooth and gentle bitterness, then I'd say use a smaller amount of a higher AA hop.

And the Citra hops. There are brewer's all over the world that can't get their hands on enough Citra for their dry hops and you're just throwing them away in a 30 minute boil addition. That's a tragedy. :D

Now that's obviously sarcasm/poor attempt at humor. But, using Citra as a 30 minute addition is kind of a waste of a hop that is known for it's flavor and aroma.

So, if you can, go for a higher AA% hop for bittering and push the Citra back to at least 10 minutes or under as well as a hop stand and/or dry hop.

Also, this area of the forum is generally for established "tried and true" type recipes. The Recipes/Ingredients sub-forum under the Home Brewing Beer category is a good spot for a thread like this. Maybe a moderator will move the thread.

I think my LHBS generally has citra. I really need to learn how/when to use different hops. I think as I do it more I'll get better, just tired of doing clone recipies.

IMO any hop boiled longer than 30 minutes won't make a contribution to flavor. I usually use just one hop for bittering (added @ 60 mins) & try to get 90% of my IBU from that addition, then add the aroma hops with maybe 15 minutes or less left in the boil.
for example, my hoppy German blonde...

75% 2-row
20% Vienna
5% carapils

.5 oz Perle @ 60
1 oz Tettnang @ 10
1 oz Tettnang @ 0

Back