Texas Two-Step/Split Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghunter0815

Reaction score
So, I managed to talk SWMBO into letting me build an MLT ($25 Ice Cube 6 w/ CPVC manifold) and have been on the look-out for a decently priced 10gal boil kettle I can port and valve myself. Sadly, it appears I have reached the limit of my allowable funds for the time being, so my MLT is sitting idly by while I bide my time until funds are available.

That said, I'm itching to brew and was wondering if anyone has experience with the "Texas Two-Step/Split Boil" techniques, and could provide any words of caution before I try it. I have two 4/5 gal kettles that I can utilize, but figured I'd get guidance from my fellow brew masters (we're all brew masters at heart) before jumping in whole hog.

Any guidance/experience/free10galkettles/wisdom/candy/mediumraresteaks/etc is very welcome!

:mug::tank::taco:

I started out back in the day only boiling about 3 gallons of water with the hops and malt and then topping off with 2 gallons of RO water. Beer was fine, so yeah, you can 100% do this, but consider the following:

-The beer you make using this method will be different than when you make the same recipe at full boil.
-
-Is it bad? Nope, not at all. Is it noticeable? Sure is! If you compare the 3 gal boil to the full boil.
-Is this what you want? Well, generally you want the method that will help you produce the same results time and time again. When you boil at different concentrations (3 gal vs 5 gal) different flavors are produced, coloring, hop utilization.

Would I make the beer if I were in your situation using 3 gal and top off? You bet!

:mug:

Regarding your steak issue:

Worchestire sauce marinade with onions in the morning,

Turn on the broiler, broil as close to the flame, flip once (time depends on thickness) and done! Serve with cracked pepper.

Regarding your steak issue:

Worchestire sauce marinade with onions in the morning,

Turn on the broiler, broil as close to the flame, flip once (time depends on thickness) and done! Serve with cracked pepper.

Who knew Doofenshmirtz had such a knack for delicious steaks! :mug:

Thanks for the info on doing 3-gal partial boils. I will give that a go while shopping for a 10gal kettle! :tank:

Start with 3 gallon batches! Should fit your 5 gallon kettle okay. Check rummage sales for turkey fryer pots(and craigslist), many are 10 gallon in size...

That's what I've been doing. Sadly, it seems there is a VERY limited supply of them in my area. Lame-O!! Found a wins who said she had a 10 for $20, turned out to be a 5. Bummed!

So, I managed to talk SWMBO into letting me build an MLT ($25 Ice Cube 6 w/ CPVC manifold) and have been on the look-out for a decently priced 10gal boil kettle I can port and valve myself. Sadly, it appears I have reached the limit of my allowable funds for the time being, so my MLT is sitting idly by while I bide my time until funds are available.

That said, I'm itching to brew and was wondering if anyone has experience with the "Texas Two-Step/Split Boil" techniques, and could provide any words of caution before I try it. I have two 4/5 gal kettles that I can utilize, but figured I'd get guidance from my fellow brew masters (we're all brew masters at heart) before jumping in whole hog.

Any guidance/experience/free10galkettles/wisdom/candy/mediumraresteaks/etc is very welcome!

:mug::tank::taco:

I do a basic 2 gallon brew in a 5 gallon pot to control boil overs I mash in a 5 gal cooler BIAB and ferment it 2 gallon HD buckets. Check out the video. I've modified ammounts since this was made but it's basic and gives me 3 six packs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do a basic 2 gallon brew in a 5 gallon pot to control boil overs I mash in a 5 gal cooler BIAB and ferment it 2 gallon HD buckets. Check out the video. I've modified ammounts since this was made but it's basic and gives me 3 six packs.

Awesome video man! I'll do 1-3 gallon BIAB batches to test out a recipe before going whole hog on a 5 gallon batch. Luckily....I was able to talk SWMBO into getting a 10 gallon kettle for a decent price! It should arrive tomorrow! Just in time to brew a batch for National Homebrew Day!!!

Keep an eye on Craigslist. I've found a couple excellent bargains there. It's like fishing, keep looking, get an idea what things go for.

This isn't close to you, but it gives you an idea of the kinds of bargains you might find. I wish I could find an excuse to buy the 10-gallon kettle:

http://iowacity.craigslist.org/for/5531097277.html

Keep an eye on Craigslist. I've found a couple excellent bargains there. It's like fishing, keep looking, get an idea what things go for.

This isn't close to you, but it gives you an idea of the kinds of bargains you might find. I wish I could find an excuse to buy the 10-gallon kettle:

http://iowacity.craigslist.org/for/5531097277.html

Wow! That is awesome. I've done some CL browsing, but brewing is either not as big here as I think, or its so big no-one wants to give up their stuff! HAHA

I got lucky with the excuse. My in-laws came down for the weekend, and spontaneously gave the wife $250 for no apparent reason. So I immediately went kettle shopping and said "Hey, check out this kettle! It's perfect for what I would need, and only $xx.xx!" She grinned and took the hint!

Back