Fermenting in a 55 gallon drum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshuaWhite5522

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 55 gallon food grade barrel the I purchased from the LHBS where I work part time. It previously held lme. In it I have 40 gallons of hefe fermenting. I've seen some of you on here have fermented in them as well. My question is how have you transfered out of them. I am thinking of a pressurized transfer with co2. Since is in on caster in a cart that is only two inches off the ground. My thought was to drill a hole on a set of spare bungs run a threaded tube through the hole seal each side with a gasket and nut. The outside of each bung would get a barbed fitting the inside of one would have a diptube affixed with a compression nut. I could hook up co2 to the bung without the diptube and push the beer through the diptube to a jumper running to another keg. Does anyone have any thoughts on the system or where it me be improved?

I think I would've put a valve toward the bottom with a racking tube installed before I filled it with wort. Then you could use a small pump to transfer the beer to kegs or whatever . that's how the craft breweries do it (pumping).

You could try and force it out with Co2 , that should work....or you could try and pump it (as long as you had a pump that was capable of lifting the beer 3 feet.

Another option is to vacuum transfer. Dip tube to keg's liquid out, pull a vacuum on the gas in. Saves CO2.

Back