Sauvignon blanc beer...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orionol73

Reaction score
Just a running idea in the head that has slowly been, shall I say brewing?:ban:, to make a beer for SWMBO. She loves New Zealand Sauvignon blanc because of the fruity, citrusy and grapefruit flavors.

The thought would be to do a very light beer that is then kettle soured with pure lacto and then fermented with a highly attentive sacc yeast. The original beer would start at 1.040-.050 and then would receive stepped infusions of corn sugar to boost the ABV into the 10% range and dry the beer out. After primary fermentation rack the beer to secondary on white grapes and allowed to age for some time. Closer to the end of the secondary I would add some Sauvignon blanc soaked oak chips and some fresh grapefruit zest to finish the ageing before bottling.

Thoughts?

saison with 3711 would be a good choice to start, but you can tailor your yeast character with combinations. I would use a combo of Nelson Sauvin and Hallertau Blanc. Ive actually found hallertau blanc to be more wine-ish than nelson. Its also much cleaner tasting and smelling. None of the dankness you can get with a hefty dose of nelson. Its got a very bright gooseberry flavor to it

I think if you took a 1.050 beer and stepped it up to 10% with sugar alone, it would be very harsh and thin bodied. With saison yeasts, you can easily get up to 10% and still be pretty dry and drinkable if you design the recipe right

I would wonder whether or not you'd want to add the grapes or grape juice when there is still a good amount to of active fermentation going on? Otherwise, this looks like a great plan and will likely be fantastic. Agreed with the Nelson Sauvin hops suggested by Mack

My wife loves "Antithesis - Saison du Vin" from NB. Not cheap but really good. I could see a sour version being very good. I've made it twice and it dries out really well with the saison yeast. I use WLP565 as my home saison strain.

Thanks for the idea on the 3711! Not a yeast I had paid much attention to before but it looks like a great choice. Agreed on the Nelson hops and I do like the idea of the Hellertau as well. The thought was to use Nelson as the base and build around it for flavors I am chasing.
The thought of switching out some of the sugar for some grape juice is a great one as well. This isn't a recipe I will be trying to brew very soon since the brew list is backed up at the moment but will continue doing some research to build this for an attempt sooner than later. Will report back with a recipe when built for some more feedback. If you have any other ideas please continue to share! :mug:

This is as far as I have gone with designing the recipe so far. Probably going to use 3711.

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.24 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 6.24 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 5.00 gal
Equipment: Patrick's Brewhaus
Efficiency: 67.00 %\
Ingredients Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs Pale Malt, 2-Row (Rahr) (1.8 SRM) Grain 1 78.6 %
0.50 oz Hallertau Blanc [10.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 2 3.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 3 3.4 IBUs
3 lbs Sugar, Table (Sucrose) [Boil for 5 min](1.0 SRM) Sugar 4 21.4 %
0.50 oz Hallertau Blanc [10.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min Hop 5 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min Hop 6 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 7 -
1.00 oz Hallertau Blanc [10.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
7.00 lb White Grapes (Secondary 0.0 mins) Other 10 -

Est Original Gravity: 1.074 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 9.2 %
Bitterness: 6.4 IBUs
Est Color: 3.7 SRM

I like my saisons and IPAs bone dry, but I think +20% sugar is pushing it. I wouldnt go too far over 10% for anything other than maybe a huge double IPA. At those levels, I think you may get solventy, vodka-like flavors

Back