1/2 coupler with large OD

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaybone454

Reaction score
Hey guy. Hopefully someone can help. Looking for a place to buy large OD 1/2 couplings. Like 1.125 OD. Long story short but i am welding fittings in my keggle and my step bit got away from me. With an oversized hole (1.090) my current couplings (.950) won't weld up nice. So id like to buy a larger OD coupling if they exist. Or ill have to make one. Anyway id appreciate the help.

Jim

I could but im trying to keep it as clean and perfect as possible. Its a polished keg eherms system. Hopefully the last brew rig i build and would like to do it right one time.

That does look nice and clean. Something that fills the void and looks good should do it. Piece of SS tubing? Or make a narrow sleeve from some 1/16" flat stock or sheet?

Tri-clamp ferrule and a TC to 1/2" NPT adapter? Clean and will give you some flexibility down the line as well. Or maybe just weld the Tc to NPT adapter in there.

Guys thanks for all of the comments and suggestions. A lot of great ideas. Anyway, i a 3/4 reducer isn't going to work because my 3pcs ball valve and swage locks are all 1/2 npt.

Ben58- this is what im looking for. I can have that fitting turned down to size and i wouldn't be noticeable. Do you know where i can buy one? A quick Google search was unproductive.

Ill have to post a thread of how I've done the welding for those who are interested. It was a great learning experience and i think others could benefit. Very easy to do.

Backside of the sanitary weld if anyone is interested.
http://s2.postimg.org/s4rscn0ax/20160213_130222.jpg

Guys thanks for all of the comments and suggestions. A lot of great ideas. Anyway, i a 3/4 reducer isn't going to work because my 3pcs ball valve and swage locks are all 1/2 npt.

Ben58- this is what im looking for. I can have that fitting turned down to size and i wouldn't be noticeable. Do you know where i can buy one? A quick Google search was unproductive.

Ill have to post a thread of how I've done the welding for those who are interested. It was a great learning experience and i think others could benefit. Very easy to do.

Backside of the sanitary weld if anyone is interested.
http://s2.postimg.org/s4rscn0ax/20160213_130222.jpg

The 3/4"x1/2" reducers I listed all have 1/2" NPT threading on the side that you would connect to. The other side that would be welded to the kettle is simply 3/4"

Jd-I need female couplings. Not too sure i understand you. I have all male 1/2 npt fittings which interface with the keg wall. From what i see the reducers you listed all have a different ID pipe thread which will not work.

the 3/4" side would be on the keggle side and the 1/2" is what you would plumb too..... unless you also want a connection inside the keggle.

Use this term in a google search - 1/2" 6000# 304 stainless steel coupling. I don't know your location but you will find a number of suppliers of those fittings. Optionally, you can use the term - 1/2" 6000# 304 stainless steel thread-olet, as these are designed to weld to apparent pipe with the weld face machined to match curvature of the parent pipe.

Hey guys. I got the new part from McMaster and everything worked out beautifully.

Turned the coupler down to fit perfectly on my Bridgeport. Since i don't have a lathe i had to improvise.

Also a picture of my back gassing rig.

Back