Thank you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeK

Reaction score
I recently started home brewing and am very excited about this new hobby. I still hardly know what I'm doing, but I just wanted to say that I appreciate all of the knowledgeable members on this forum trying to help out all those with questions and inquiries about brewing. I have been exploring this site for a couple of months now, just reading over everyones advice and comments on different threads and I really have learned a lot. Don't want you thinking that your efforts are unappreciated. You guys are a huge help, thank you so much.:mug:

ben,

I don't have anything going right now, but I do have a couple of recipes I've found that I think I would like to get started on soon. Since I'm still very new, I've decided to stick to extract brewing for the time being. If you have any suggestions or critiques they are more than welcome.

I found all three recipes within the HBT forum.

First is a springtime lager submitted by J-Stone:
Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Wyeast2001(urquell)
Yeast Starter: 1 ltr of yeast cake from previous batch(gene 2)that makes this 3rd gen
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.050ish
Final Gravity: 1.009-007
IBU: 18 ish
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: golden/caramel due to extract use
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 18
Additional Fermentation: none
Tasting Notes: light, crisp, VERY faint notes of hop character. Women LOVE this beer!!!

Just becouse you don't brew All-Grain, doesn't mean that you can't make good beer. I enjoy both brewing styles. Extract is great if you don't have a lot of time or energy.

This is the beer that EVERYONE will like. Almost BMC'ish. This is the one that everyone says"you made this"?

DO NOT ADD ALL OF LME TO BOIL.

(ingredients).5lb carafoam, 6.75lbs Xtra light LME, 1.2oz hersbrucker 5.2%A, 1.6oz Saaz 3%A, tspn irish moss

add 1/2 LME to .5 gal H2O, bring to boil, boil only for 5 min, set aside( this will mean better hop utilization and lighter color. IMHO

3gal H2O( Do not use city water)
.5 lb carafoam steep 30min at 150-155
Add 1/2 LME and bring to boil
1.2oz Hersbrucker @ 60 min
0.6oz Saaz @ 15 min
1oz Saaz @ flameout
top off with cold clean H2O(preboiled and chilled is recomended, but I go straight from the hose)
cool to ferment temp, pitch, seal, ferment between 45-50.

on the 17th day turn fridge down about 10 deg. (Cold crash)
keg at 10 psi, leave for two weeks, enjoy

Hey, you just made a great beer and it didn't take all freaking day

I have moved from late edition extract brewing to this style becouse of the hops at flameout, with too much sugar in the pot, you don't get the wonderful Saaz aroma in the end.

Belgian Apricot Pale Ale:
Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity
Yeast Starter: none
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: none
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.064
Final Gravity: 1.014
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 days @ 73 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 5-7 days @ 73 degrees
Tasting Notes: Delicious explosion of fruit flavors. Very well balanced.

It's a pale ale base w/ real Apricots and Belgian Yeast.

2 1/2 gallon boil

.20 lbs Crystal 80L (30 minute steep)
7 lbs pale DME (60 minutes)
1 oz Columbus (60 minutes)
1 oz Cascade (30 minutes)
1 oz Amarillo (2 minutes)

Chill, add to fermenter, bring to 5 gallons, aerate, then add smack pack of Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity. Allow to ferment up to 7 days. Fermentation is extremely vigorous, so blow-off tube may be necessary.

Transfer contents to secondary fermenter. Add 3 lbs of fresh apricots. I puree them myself, put in a small pot, bring the temperature up to 170 degrees fahrenheit, and hold for 10 minutes, constantly stirring the puree. Cool it down in an ice bath, then add to secondary fermenter. Blow off tube is mandatory for secondary fermentation. Allow to ferment up to 7 days or until all activity subsides. FG should be around 1.014.

Bottle or Keg. If you want to leave the apricot puree floaties in the bottles, it's a nice floor show. Otherwise, I just tie a sanitized hop bag over the fermenter end of the siphon and filter the floaties out (leaving them in the fermenter).

Mango Pale Ale:
Originally Posted by HopHound12
Over the past few very hot summer days I have been pondering making a Mango Pale Ale and am in the process of working up a recipe. Let me say first that I am a beginner brewer and this will be my fourth batch, the first three of those being extract kits. Because of this I really don’t have any experience coming up with a good recipe which is why I am hoping that you guys could give me some advice. I am looking to brew a light ale that is not too bitter and will finish with the subtle taste of mango. I’ve done some research online and found one recipe which is as follows:

1.5 kg (3.3 lbs) light liquid malt extract
3 lbs light DME
1.0 lbs pislner malt
.75 oz chinook leaf hops (60 min)
.75 oz cascade leaf hops (60 min)
.75 oz cascade leaf hops (2 min)
Nottingham ale yeast (starter)

I was wondering if this recipe looks alright and if there is anything that you think ought to be changed to better it. I plan on racking the beer into secondary onto about five pounds of fresh mango cubes or possibly frozen mango which I would puree in the food processor. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
I've never used real mango in a beer, but I would suggest that if you want a mango flavored beer to use citra hops. I made an all citra beer, and it screamed MANGO to me. Citra hops at 10 minutes and 2 minutes would give you a definite mango fruitiness that might play better with real mango than cascade.

"I would definitely try late hopping with Citra. I get a major mango flavor and aroma out of them. I would also use 1056 or us-05 if you want dry yeast to keep the flavors clean. I'm not an extract brewer so idk but the pound of pils malt seems unnecessary as a steeping malt. good luck"

"I did an american pale ale and racked onto 1lb. of frozen mango cubes for one week. It was amazing, next time I may try 2 pounds for for days maybe. The mango was very noticeable, turned out crisp and refreshing!"

-Joe

Back