Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > AG boil with sort of lid
Old 02-29-2008, 05:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default AG boil with sort of lid

When I got my keggle it came with a lid. Because I am using a plate chiller I wanted to reduce the amount of hops that went through it so I was thinking that the lid could be something to hang a hop bag from. I know that I am boiling off DMS but I still want something to hold my hops that allows for easy hop additions. I crafted this up:

Think that the holes are enough?
I could probably cut it down more but I don't have a grinder, all I have on hand is a drill.
Would a longer boil be in order?

*EDIT* The images were rotated in photobucket, no idea why they are not rotated here, sorry

Old 02-29-2008, 05:37 PM   #2
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery
Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

I think it should work. As long as you're not really restrcting th flow it should be fine.
Originally Posted by Strange Brewer
Had some Bud Light analyzed once. They told me my dog had diabetes... And was pregnant
Old 02-29-2008, 05:41 PM   #3
Liked 139 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The DMS is in the vapor that is boiling off. I can't view your pic, but I am guessing you took a bunch of chunks out of the lid.

Just be sure that condensation forming on the lid does not drip/run back into the kettle, then you will be just fine.