New stainless mash run - how to clean before first use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwing7486

Reaction score
I just bought my first stainless steel mash tun. It's a 15 gallon pot with a stainless false bottom, 3 piece valve and thermometer. My question is what is the best way to clean it before it's firat use? should I soak the individual pieces with a PBW /hot water mixture and then assemble the mash tun and repeat again? On the PBW instructions it recommends cycling the cleaner for 20 minutes but I do not have a pump to do so.

Id soak the valve for about 20-30 min. Then put everything together and let it soak for another 30 minutes. Then wash and your good to go.

You can also use Starsan mixed 1oz per gallon to acidify after cleaning with TSP or PBW

I was thinking after I soak the valve in the PBW I would assemble the tun, make a 10 gallon mixture of PBW and let soak for 20 minutes and then drain slowly through valve. Then I would do the same thing with stars an solution, rinse with hot water and dry. Thoughts?

Back