Best Girlfriend Ever? I think so!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tactical-Brewer

Reaction score
Not to brag, but my girlfriend makes wine, so she understands my excitement to really get into brewing my passion, Beer.

Not to mention, the other day, she surprised me with homemade Pastys. Before we went to the UP this past summer, I had read about these delectable meat filled treats and knew I had to try one while we were up there. Well, lo and behold, of course I loved them. So since then, she has surprised me with homemade pastys twice now and I couldn't be more grateful! Little bit of ketchup and you're in for one heck of a hearty, delicious meal!

Merry Christmas all! Hope yours is grand!

JK

I thought pastys were those things strippers put over their nipples!?! Well, either way, whether it's meat or titties, she does sound awesome! Merry Christmas, too!
url]

Hahaha! I'll have to find the post card we got from the little place that sold them up in the UP! It was a picture of this gal holding two pastys up to her tatas... Pretty funny stuff!

Both were delicious by the way :D

This thread reminds me of the chick I used to work with at the Home Depot who would tell me about going to pick up her boyfriend from jail on the days he was released. First thing she said to him when he climbed in the car was, "I brought you cigarettes, beer, and p*s*y!" Sigh.

This thread reminds me of the chick I used to work with at the Home Depot who would tell me about going to pick up her boyfriend from jail on the days he was released. First thing she said to him when he climbed in the car was, "I brought you cigarettes, beer, and p*s*y!" Sigh.

Feel good Christmas story of 2015 . . .

@ Gspot, as a cop I've seen plenty of those women coming to the Jail to pick up "their man", but were the first to cuss him out as I'm taking him out in cuffs. Never quite understood it.

@ Pointcity-homebrew, she makes them from scratch and they're always amazing! Great for cold days and a great beer!

I knew a girl like once....Got to where I hated it when her boyfriend got thrown in jail, I'd never get any sleep until someone threw his bail! Sometimes I miss the 70's, a good Harley, gas, grass, or ass was it took to keep me happy. Somewhere along the road, I went mainstream and ain't looked back (much).

Ahhhh, the memories you can't share with your kids...priceless!

Yeah, the pasty is the original Yooper comfort food! Somewhere along the way, the pasty crept south so us 'Trolls' (because we live 'Under the Mackinaw Bridge') living in or visiting near the tip of the Mitten eventually discovered how good they are. Mickey's U.P Pasty and Albie's Pasty are the best known store bought variety, but nothing can top a good home made pasty fresh out of the oven.

I absolutely love the pastys she makes! Of course I've only had one actual UP pasty for comparison, but the buttery crust is amazing! Especially with all the goods inside. When she's making them I just want to sit in the house all day and smell them as they bake haha!

I think these are called pirogi in some places.

Not even close!

Pieorgi are basically dumplings, with a noodle dough. I generally make potato ones, but occasionally sauerkraut ones. I'm Polish (among other things) and my husband is 100% Russian, but we both grew up with peirogi. It's more like ravioli than anything else I could describe.

Pasties are Cornish in origin. This area is full of mines (mostly iron mines) and the miners took pasties into the mines for their lunch. It's not a noodle dough- it's a buttery pie crust dough, and it's filled with meat, potatoes, and rutabagas. It was also called a "hand pie". The best way I can describe it to non-Yoopers is a "pot pie without the pot, and no gravy". I hope that makes sense. It's basically a pot pie that you eat with no silver ware.

Almost all of the restaurants here sell them on Wednesdays (Friday is fish fry day), but there are also a ton of pasty shops around.

They're delicious! To me they kind of tasted like a White Castle burger only all mixed together in a buttery, flaky, pie crust... Delicious.

The one I tried was from Lehto's pasties on US-2 just west of St. Ignace. Real nice folks in there too.

They used to make them with jam in one end, so you had a two course meal in one easy to eat package

I think these are called samosas in some places (India). ;)

pastys rule. had them quite frequently as a child (grew up an hour south of the up border) and still enjoy them today. it is a bit of a chore to just make a couple at home so we always get a ton of ingredients and make a dozen or so, they freeze great! our favorite ingredient combo is ground beef, ground pork, potatoes, carrot, onion and rutabaga. some simple salt and pepper is all the seasoning required.

Back