Counterflow chiller and Cold break

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twotaureanbrewing

Here to Learn
Reaction score
I had been thinking about switching to chillerplate or counterflow chiller but couldn't figure out the process of dealing with the cold break, do you pump the chilled wort to a second kettle, or just pump the wort(cold break and all) right into the fermenter.

How do you deal with cold break?
Whats your process using a counterflow or chillerplate?

I read this guys article and found a lot of value, what do you think?
http://www.love2brew.com/Articles.asp?ID=455

I whirpool and leave some of it right in the kettle. My brewing Yoda dumps it all straight into the fermenter. Both ways work, just a matter of preference. The yeast seem to chew up his cold break with out issue and I do whe whirpool because I'm usually hopping during this time. I do like my cfc.

I had been thinking about switching to chillerplate or counterflow chiller but couldn't figure out the process of dealing with the cold break, do you pump the chilled wort to a second kettle, or just pump the wort(cold break and all) right into the fermenter.

How do you deal with cold break?
Whats your process using a counterflow or chillerplate?

I read this guys article and found a lot of value, what do you think?
http://www.love2brew.com/Articles.asp?ID=455

I use gravity to move the hot wort from the kettle, through the counter flow chiller and into the fermentor. I add WhirFloc to the kettle 5 minutes before flameout and then whirlpool the wort in the kettle. Letting the hot wort stand for 20 minutes before emptying allows the kettle trub to settle below the kettle valve opening too.

It goes into the FV. No worries there.

I recirculate with my plate chiller and pump on fully open till I'm about 90F and then it goes through the plate chiller to the FV at a slower pace generally getting down to about #75F.

That cold-break has yet to pose me any issues for which I need to seek a solution in my small batches (5.5 gallons)

I pump through the counterflow chiller and back into the kettle. Once the temperature is down to 120ish in the kettle I shut off the pump for 10 minutes to let everything settle. Then pump through the chiller again and straight into the fermenter.

Back