Altitude and fermentation lock question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lendady

Reaction score
Hey, I'm new to home brewing and really enjoy the info on this site... thanks a lot!
My question has to do with high altitude and the action of a fermentation lock. Would a high altitude city, like Albuquerque, NM where I live, and its lower atmospheric pressure reduce or stop the bubbling action in a fermentation lock? I have read that bubbling is not always present but was wondering if altitude had anything do due with the lack.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Co2 is more evaporative at a lower air pressure so if anything it should bubble more. If you are using a bucket with a lid and airlock, there's a good chance the co2 is escaping out where the lid seals the bucket or you don't have enough fluid in your airlock?

I'm at 5900 ft and it works fine. I go for the leak idea. What was the OG and what is the SG? that will say if you have fermentation.

Latest posts

Back