What next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Had another Colby fail.

I'm ready to try something else. My cheese cave is just sitting there wasting electricity. Need to make something to put in there.

What cultures do I need to buy to make something interesting? I'm into cheddar and cheeses that aren't "spoiled" like bleu.

Had another Colby fail.

I'm ready to try something else. My cheese cave is just sitting there wasting electricity. Need to make something to put in there.

What cultures do I need to buy to make something interesting? I'm into cheddar and cheeses that aren't "spoiled" like bleu.

Feta is easy and pretty much a sure thing. I've been using it for all sorts of stuff.

Sorry, I am in the same boat as you. I tried to make a Colby also, It turned out to be a fairly nice Bleu Cheese.

I am going to do a fairly simple Mozzarella today or tomorrow.

Methinks he's having the opposite problem.

Precisely. I would have plenty for us if they would turn out.

Gouda and Feta are both great suggestions. What cultures do I need? I have to buy some and I'd like to get a whole collection to have on hand so I can bang out some cheeses this fall.

A couple of short turn-around cheese might be nice, and a couple of aging cheeses is good too.

I think I'd have room in my cave for about 6 cheeses.

Well it looks like there are really only 2 options for cheese cultures: Mesophilic and Thermophilic. I shall order a few packets of each and be ready to make whatever cheese looks interesting when I have time to make it.

Well it looks like there are really only 2 options for cheese cultures: Mesophilic and Thermophilic. I shall order a few packets of each and be ready to make whatever cheese looks interesting when I have time to make it.

I think you want mild lipase too for feta. Makes it a little stanky (no, not like blue :) )

Hold on Homer.

Thanks for your help in this Passed. I will be buying the two main cultures and checking the resource you sent me for other useful additives.

If I can swing it, I'll be trying Queso Blanco tonight.

Thanks for your help in this Passed. I will be buying the two main cultures and checking the resource you sent me for other useful additives.

If I can swing it, I'll be trying Queso Blanco tonight.

Check out the troubleshooting section in the beginning of Karlin's cheese book. Some really good info in there.

gouda is easy- it's a washed curd cheese. If you follow the recipe here: http://www.cheesemaking.com/Gouda.html you should be all set.

Why is the other stuff going bad, though? That's what I'm wondering about. Something is going wrong with the aging. You could do more fresh cheese- queso blanco or queso fresco, the feta, etc- but I"d look at the aging process to find out why your cheese is turning into blue cheese unintentionally. It could be a pH issue.

gouda is easy- it's a washed curd cheese. If you follow the recipe here: http://www.cheesemaking.com/Gouda.html you should be all set.

Why is the other stuff going bad, though? That's what I'm wondering about. Something is going wrong with the aging. You could do more fresh cheese- queso blanco or queso fresco, the feta, etc- but I"d look at the aging process to find out why your cheese is turning into blue cheese unintentionally. It could be a pH issue.

Good question. I thought I did pretty good with the recipe, although the last time I made a mistake in the salting portion.

I have tried Colby the last 2 batches, and I'm wondering if the problem may be because I'm rinsing with tap water, which probably contains some amount of Chloramines.

My plan for now is ti get back to basics and start making a few really simple cheeses that don't require much aging. I can read up on the techniques and science behind cheesmaking and learn more about HOW things are the way they are.

I haven't done any pH testing, or know anything about it as far as cheesmaking goes, so that is going to be one of the things I focus on in my learning.

And my cheese isn't turning into Bleu cheese at all. It's not "infected tasting" just not good. My last batch when from a tall cylinder to sinking down into a flat wheel. I am guessing it was a pressing problem, or I didn't drain it well enough before pressing or something.

All things I can learn to account for as I get better at the process.

I've got to read the troubleshooting. I used the same brand of whole milk from the store and took my time cleaning the kitchen all up, sanitizing everything, slowly heating the milk in a double boiler.

I did the Queso Blanco recipe from the book and added 1/3 C. apple cider vinegar to 1 gallon Whole, pasteurized, homogenized milk, and I never got a whole curd. It created a mottled curd that looked more like cottage cheese and set like Ricotta.

I drained per the instructions and pressed into some Tupperware to sit overnight. I think it will be edible. I might use in recipes.

It just never got the complete curding that I've seen when using rennet. After the 10 minute set, I added just a bit more vinegar as per the instructions, but no good came of it.

Back