Looking for Barley that has been used to make Whiskey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobh002

Reaction score
Hi, new here and don't know if anyone is even able to make home made Whiskey but I am a cheese maker and i'm looking for some malted barley that was used in the making if Whiskey. I would use it to coat a hard cheese to infuse the barley whiskey flavor into it. I would like to buy about a pound if it if it is legal to do so. thank you

Since you're new, you should know that etiquette on this forum frowns on posting the same question in multiple places. You should decide what the most appropriate forum is, and post only in that one.

Home distilling in the US is illegal, and forum rules forbid discussing it here.

I'm not sure what's special about barley that has been used to make whiskey, as it won't have any whiskey character to it at all. The whiskey character comes from the barrel aging after distillation. Spent grain from a brewer's mash should perform the same way.

If you have your heart set on barley that was used to make a whiskey wash, look for local craft distilleries. There are more of them all the time (even tho licensing is a PITA.) One of them would likely give or sell you some used barely.

Brew on :mug:

I would use it to coat a hard cheese to infuse the barley whiskey flavor into it.

He's not trying to make whiskey, or anything with alcohol, but a cheese that has whiskey flavor.

Perhaps make a brine with your favorite whiskey in it to soak the cheese into for a while. I'm not ATM a cheese maker so beyond that i've no idea how to help you achieve your goal.

Doug293cz is right, barley used making whiskey seldom is any different than beer unless it's fermented on the grain. Even then it's still just beer until distilled.
Methinks more research is required

Doug293cz is right, barley used making whiskey seldom is any different than beer unless it's fermented on the grain. Even then it's still just beer until distilled.
Methinks more research is required

Would that include a taste test of the cheese after the attempt? :D

Maybe state law but federally still illegal

Kind of how another substance is legal in a few states and still federally illegal. Well I hope it becomes legal, with the talent in beers people have I would love to see what they could do with Whiskey.

Since you're new, you should know that etiquette on this forum frowns on posting the same question in multiple places. You should decide what the most appropriate forum is, and post only in that one.

Home distilling in the US is illegal, and forum rules forbid discussing it here.

I'm not sure what's special about barley that has been used to make whiskey, as it won't have any whiskey character to it at all. The whiskey character comes from the barrel aging after distillation. Spent grain from a brewer's mash should perform the same way.

If you have your heart set on barley that was used to make a whiskey wash, look for local craft distilleries. There are more of them all the time (even tho licensing is a PITA.) One of them would likely give or sell you some used barely.

I apologize for the double posting. I was able to obtain some barley from a local craft whiskey distillery that they cracked for me then soaked it in their own whiskey. Cheers.

I apologize for the double posting. I was able to obtain some barley from a local craft whiskey distillery that they cracked for me then soaked it in their own whiskey. Cheers.

Glad the craft distillery lead worked out for you. Hope the cheese comes out great.

Latest posts

Back