Stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChelisHubby

Reaction score
I brewed a small dark mild a couple of weeks ago. the recipe was 3lbs maris otter 3 lbs Vienna one lb of 40 4 ounces of 120 and 2 ounces of pale chocolate. Yeast was BRY 97. The Bry 97 got to 50 hrs and no noticeable fermentation then I pitched Us-04 and fermentation started 16 hrs later. The Bry 97 was a repitch of part of a blonde I make. The pitch of 97 was stored in the fridge for 3 days under 1/2 of beer and covered. The fridge temp is 39 degrees. The fermentation OG was 1046 the final 2 weeks later is 10.24. What is the likelihood of having both pitches Stuck. Is it possible that the ferm cap is stunting the fermentation. The gravity readings were 10.24 done twice 4 days apart. The beer taste very mild but slightly sweet. Tell me what you think of this, I went ahead and bottled very well aware of possible bottle bombs. The 04 yeast was one package rehydrated. I fermented this at about 66 for the first 6 days and then let the temp rise to 70. Was this just a weird batch or something else I should look at. I think this will be a brew that I will be wearing glasses and maybe gloves when I open a bottle.
:mug:

I don't make starters, so I can't really help much. I've read many posts about Bry 97 being a really slow starter. Only a guess, but maybe the Bry 97 used up much of the oxygen, and then the 04 didn't have enough. You didn't mention aeration. I've read that dry yeast doesn't need it, but I've found aeration to be helpful with dry yeast.

Are you measuring FG with a refractometer? If so, you may be lower than you think, as refractometrers are inaccurate when alcohol is present. You can use a calculator to approximate actual FG.

Per my tool, an FG of 6 Brix with a refractometer is ~ 1.010.

Sorry but I don't have a refractometer. Why would 2 pitches of yeast stall early? That is what puzzles me.
:confused:

I don't know the mash was 153 for a hour. The other is aeration I didn't have a oxigen bottle so I shook it for a couple of minutes. I have two different thermometer and they read within a degree of each other. I don't know, I will probably try the recipe again soon. Thanks for the replies!:D

Well the blonde I make just came in at 10.22, It was oxygenated and had what appeared to be good fermentation. Now I am about to buy a different hydrometer, both thermometer were the same with the brew, I really am puzzled by this, there was different yeast and complete stops of both fermentations. The previous brew taste great, Hmmm why ? :confused:

Have never repitched yeast before...

But I can say that I've never had any trouble getting cultivated yeast to take off within 12-24 hours or finish a beer (with the exception of a very high gravity imperial stout). Sounds like you are doing everything correct but perhaps you are under pitching yeast so why not try building a starter and over pitching?! It really is not that much extra effort and the results are guaranteed ( ;

If your blond finished at 1.022 and this mild finished at 1.024 I'm wondering if your thermometer is off and needs to be calibrated.

You might have a point but it is two thermometers, I am going to buy a different hydrometer. I am out of Ideas. How would you calibrate a thermometer to say zero out at 150 degrees.:D

Thanks I will be brewing next sun day and will have checked the thermometers by then!:)

Well both of my thermometers freeze at 26 and boil at 206. Now that this is proven I can adjust my recipes somewhat. Many thanks !:D Oh and the thermometers will be calibrated Soon!

Well both of my thermometers freeze at 26 and boil at 206. Now that this is proven I can adjust my recipes somewhat. Many thanks !:D Oh and the thermometers will be calibrated Soon!

Glad you got it sorted out. It gets frustrating when you spend a day brewing only to be met with a beer that doesn't meet your expectations.

Latest posts

Back