Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrider736

Reaction score
Looking for help with my next brew.. Not experienced enough to know or create my own recipe.
Yes I have BeerSmith but can't say I know my way around it that well...

Looking for a "Fall or Winter Ale". I only have a few BIAB brews under my belt to this point.

What I have in my beer fridge;

Malt:
Can 2-Row
Maris Otter

Hops:
Amarillo
Chinook
Citra
Hallertau
US Cascade
Simco
Sazz
Willamette

Yst
US-05 Ale (Dry)

I only brew 1g, BIAG, No Sparge brews if that matters ?

Fall or winter ale, like a spiced ale? Pumpkin ale? Those are often amber or brown, will you be able to pick up some specialty malts? You might look through the spice/herb beer section of the recipe database. What is can 2-row by the way, you mean a can of LME? Is it hopped?

You can always go "SMASH" (single malt, single hop) while you are learning what each of the ingredients contribute.

For example, try 2lbs Maris Otter with .3 oz of Citra at 60 min and .2 oz at flameout.

What does "can 2-row" mean? Extract?

I have been brewind 1g Smash brews to learn the process and to understand the ingredients without dealing with large size brews.

I want to use what I have in house for my ingredients. . I guess a IPA would a better fit.

Just looking for ideas for Hop usage

I have been brewind 1g Smash brews to learn the process and to understand the ingredients without dealing with large size brews.

I want to use what I have in house for my ingredients. . I guess a IPA would a better fit.

Just looking for ideas for Hop usage

have you heard of hopstands/whirpools? Single biggest thing that will improve you IPAs in my opinion. You add most of your hops at flameout and let them steep for 30min or so before chilling. Gets you amazingly potent hop aroma adn flavor weithout bitterness

all those hops except hallertau saaz and willamette would be suited for IPAs

Yeah if you want to use what you've got with no additional malts and US 05 a nice hoppy APA or an AIPA sounds the way to go. Off the top of my head I might do 50/50 2 row and MO to get the OG that you want, small 60 min bittering addition with chinook, then say .25 each of simcoe/amarillo/cascade for whirlpool steep and dry hop. I like chilling to about 160 then adding the steeping addition. Single malt APA's with MO are also really good IMO.

Yeah if you want to use what you've got with no additional malts and US 05 a nice hoppy APA or an AIPA sounds the way to go. Off the top of my head I might do 50/50 2 row and MO to get the OG that you want, small 60 min bittering addition with chinook, then say .25 each of simcoe/amarillo/cascade for whirlpool steep and dry hop. I like chilling to about 160 then adding the steeping addition. Single malt APA's with MO are also really good IMO.

ThX chickypad, Thinking I will stick with a Single Malt and try the MO (Have only used 2-row to this point)

What about;
.50oz Chinook @ start of Boil (60min)
.25oz of simcoe/amarillo/cascade @ 10min
.35oz of simcoe/amarillo/cascade @ Flame out ??
Hop total 2.3oz

New at Home brewing and don't want to Dry Hop yet.

I think of "Winter" beers as high gravity dark/malty and maybe spicy beers. If you want one of those for this winter you do need to get it going soon.

I did a version of this recipe: ww.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=209837

I don't recall any problems but I brewed it in November planning to drink it in February. It was really harsh in Feb. Became pretty good in July, better by the second February and finished off (still pretty good) the 3rd February.

If a spiced or dark beer is what you are looking for you have a start but will need some more ingredients.

0.5 oz chinook is too much for that small batch, more like .2 to .25 sounds better. Maybe less if you add the second hop addition right at flameout, you'll get a little bittering from that while the wort is over about 160-170 degrees. Lately I have been partially chilling before steeping because I think it's hard to calculate the bittering contribution from flameout hops, different people do different schedules but I chill to 160 or so then let it steep about 20 min. I'm looking just for flavor and aroma from that addition.

0.5 oz chinook is too much for that small batch, more like .2 to .25 sounds better. Maybe less if you add the second hop addition right at flameout, you'll get a little bittering from that while the wort is over about 160-170 degrees. Lately I have been partially chilling before steeping because I think it's hard to calculate the bittering contribution from flameout hops, different people do different schedules but I chill to 160 or so then let it steep about 20 min. I'm looking just for flavor and aroma from that addition.

This is the help I am looking for ! Ok.. going to try that on Monday.

cheers

Latest posts

Back