Rose petals in best bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonRikkles

Reaction score
I've recently brewed a best bitter for my new daughter's christening party. Brew day went perfectly. Her middle name is Rose so I wanted to add some complementary rose character to the beer. My initial thought is to "dry hop" the beer for 3-5 days with approx. 4 oz of rose petals. Recently, though, I've seen that making a tincture out of rose petals and vodka added at packaging might work (FWIW, I keg and force carbonate).

Does anyone have experience with rose petals or any other flower?

The recipe for 5 gal is below.

OG: 1.047
IBU: 35

8.5 lb Maris Otter
.5 lb Crystal 60
2 oz Fuggles @ 60
.5 oz Fuggles @10
1 oz Fuggles @ 0
WLP005 (1L starter pitched and kept at 64)

I added some dried rose petals to a strawberry vanilla cake weizen. Used 0.5oz for 5g, sanitized in a touch of vodka. It is hard to tell what that amount did as the result is a bit of a mess, but I do feel like I do get some flowery rose notes in just the right amount there. Not much help that experience, I know.

However,
the best beer with flowers I´ve ever had was from To Øl, a Danish gipsy brewery. Their "Blossom" is a flower IPA and awesome. So what I would do if I was you is shoot them a friendly email explaining your project and asking if they have some advice on amounts for you. Can´t say for sure, but since they are super nice and nerdy guys I would not be surprised if they would give you some pointers.

I had something like that (can't remember which British brewery) and it tasted of Turkish delights

I used rose petal extract from Olive Nation in an Abbey style ale and it was fantastic. I believe it was about 12 drops using an eye dropper for a 5 gallon batch. You got the aroma when smelling the beer, but the taste is very subtle.

Back