Can you fix an underpitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silvestre

Reaction score
I made 12gal of an og1.078 IPA on Saturday. I made a 4L starter the day before with wyeast 1187 Ringwood, but it did not look very active at the time of pitching, but I pitched it anyway, being optimistic, and wanting to have something working in there to try to stave off any possible infection. Just this afternoon (about 40hrs later), it started showing the first signs of fermentation. I have already begun a 4L starter of WY1968 London ESB, hoping that pitching more yeast before the fermentation really gets rolling will prevent the diacetyl production that 1187 is supposedly known for. This will be reayd to pitch early tomorrow afternoon, less than 24hrs since the first visible signs of activity.

Unfortunately, living Mexico, I don't have access to liquid yeast, except what I bring back every time I go to the States, which is why I had to make the 1968 starter.

Should I pitch this 4L WY1968 starter tomorrow afternoon, or will the damage from an underpitch already be done at that point?

How old was the 1187? At what temp did you pitch & what is your fermentation temp?
I'd give it a bit longer to see if your fermentation takes off more vigorously.
If all goes well check your SG after a week. If not, consider pitching more yeast.
Can you get some S-05?

Personally, I would hold off a few more days and then check your gravity. Depending on what your gravity is at the time you can then make the decision to pitch more yeast or not.

Cheers!

Personally, I would hold off a few more days and then check your gravity. Depending on what your gravity is at the time you can then make the decision to pitch more yeast or not.

Cheers!

Agreed.

Why don't you just use dry yeast from now on? Or at least keep an emergency pack around for events like this, stuff lasts forever.

What makes you think you under pitched? The lag phase duration to my understanding determined by quantity of yeast in addition to other factors such as oxygen levels, sterols, vitamins and proteins.

Thanks for all of your replies. So, to answer a few questions:

The 1187 was about 8 months old, which is one of the factors that had me concerned with the health of the starter.

I pitched the yeast at 70F and the ambient temp where the fermentation is happening swings from the mid-70s during the day to the low 60s at night.

Another reason that gave me concern, other than the long lag time, was the lack of apparent activty in the starter at the time of pitching.

All 3 fermenters are now bubbling along, but it is not the most vigorous fermentation I have ever seen. Each fermenter has about 2" of whispy krausen. At this point, I an going to take your advice, and let the wy1187 finish doing its thing, take a gravity reading and a taste, and then take it from there.

Thanks again for all of your advice.

PS I usually do try to keep a few packs of us-05 around for just such occasions, I just happened to decide on an impromptu brew day a few months ago, and used them for that, and neglected to order more. My next order to the brew store will include a handful of those.

Back