Interesting hop combo or a total mess?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBrewGoose

Reaction score
I had hop leftovers and wanted to do my first "own" beer and did this

20L Batch

grains: pale ale, vienna, caramunich

Hops
At boil 30g galaxy
45 mins 20g citra
30 min 20g saaz
10min 25g citra
10 min 30g galaxy
5 min 20g hersbrucker
0 min 15g galaxy

dryhop
45g citra
20g galaxy

Im confident that galaxy/citra is a good mix but the saaz and hersbrucker....oops?

saaz and hallertau wont be detectable at all, even at twice those amounts. Even if they were, they wouldnt bring anything to the table for an IPA. They are subtle. I would definitely replace them. Citra and galaxy are good together

but I think you are totally wasting those 45 and 30min additions. You wont taste them. I would do a single addition at 60min then everything else 20min or less. I like to save most of my hops for a flameout hopstand. Usually 1oz (28g) at 60min, 1-2oz at 15-10min, and 10 oz or more for a hopstand. Makes a great IPA with only a hint of bitterness

I agree with both those points, m00ps, but it sounds like the OP has already brewed this? I think it will be fine, just maybe with a bit less hop flavor than you were hoping for. And it will taste of Citra, with a bit of Galaxy!

Okay i actually feel better. It was spur of the moment and i instantly regretted it

saaz and hallertau wont be detectable at all, even at twice those amounts. Even if they were, they wouldnt bring anything to the table for an IPA. They are subtle. I would definitely replace them. Citra and galaxy are good together

but I think you are totally wasting those 45 and 30min additions. You wont taste them. I would do a single addition at 60min then everything else 20min or less. I like to save most of my hops for a flameout hopstand. Usually 1oz (28g) at 60min, 1-2oz at 15-10min, and 10 oz or more for a hopstand. Makes a great IPA with only a hint of bitterness

Thank you ! I will keep this in mind for future brews!

Im going to brew a citra/galaxy IPA. How should i have the hop additions? Galaxy vs citra bittering etc

id just do 50/50 both are pretty potent and have a repuation to make themselves known at smaller quantities in beers. If you really prefer one over the other do like 25/75 but id just go with 50/50 and brew it up.

I wouldnt use an aromatic hop like citra or galaxy for bittering unless you dont have any other hops. Id just do 1oz or so of somethign over 10%aa since you wont taste it at all anyway

Im going to brew a citra/galaxy IPA. How should i have the hop additions? Galaxy vs citra bittering etc

if you're dead set on ONLY using those two hops, just use whichever has the higher AA content. aim to get 1/3- 1/2 of your IBUs from your bittering charge. get rid of the 45 and 30 minute additions like the beer above and use a ton in the last ten minutes to get almost to your target IBUs. do a 45 minute and 30 minute hop stand, longer if you like but definitely do two additions for flavor and aroma. finally a nice 2-5 oz dry hopping and you'll be good to go!

Citra and Galaxy are pretty similar hops so 50/50 would be a good place to start but really it doesn't matter because one won't completely drown out the other at any percentage

If you could use any hops with citra and galaxy, what would you use? How much and when? Bittering? Im thinking about nelson? Maybe some others. Theres no limit!

Back