Gelatin in Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImNewToBrew

Reaction score
Silly question and the answer might be obvious, but I thought I'd through it out there given this is my first stout. I assume it's counter productive to try to add any fining agents to a stout??

Thanks in Advance.

Thanks, I figured as much. Just wondered if there was something else the fining agent would do in terms of a stout. I didn't add any on brew day and was planning on skipping gelatin in the keg.

That's not true. There is a difference in appearance and flavor. My stouts seem to mature much more quickly from cold crashing and gelatin fining.

The gelatin doesn't make it "too clear" (for lack of a better word). I was planning on cold crashing still, but figured I would skip the gelatin. Do you know if gelatin affects head retention in any way?

I find that darker beers tend to clear effectively by themselves. I've not seen a need to fine since my stouts and porters are clear.

I wouldn't bother using gelatin unless you have a specific reason. Keg and if it doesn't seem to clear very well or has a yeasty flavor, you can add gelatin in keg, wait a few days, and pour off a pint or so. Keep in mind that there will be gelatin residue on the walls of the keg, and if you plan to take it to events you will need to let the gelatin that sloughs off the walls settle and be poured off before serving. If it will sit in your kegerator, no problem.

I haven't noticed head retention issues with beers I have added gelatin to. If you are concerned, add a smaller amount of gelatin than recommended and see how it works for you.

For stouts, I would think it OK to let the keg rest cold for several weeks or so before drinking it since the style is generally more ageable anyhow. After a month or so it should be relatively 'clear', though the darkness may make that imperceptible. My ultimate recommendation is no gelatin until you absolutely feel you have to try something.

Hey, I got some questions. The gelatin is supposed to help the break material and what ever else fall out. This same material decreases the shelf life in the beer, right? Could one argue that it could be beneficial to use gelatin to clear a beer to help increase shelf life?

Back