BIAB with Sparge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coh1rlt

Reaction score
I'm going to try this method
Mash appox 5.5 gal BIAB in an igloo cooler
Drain into boil pot should give me about 3 gal
I was then going to sparge the grain with another 3-4 gallons and drain into my boil pot which should put me around 5.0 - 5.5 gallons total

Has anyone tried this? Is it more efficient that just mashing say 7-8 gallons (16lbs of grain) one time and draining into the boil pot?

I've been very happy with no-sparge. I do squeeze the bag like it owes me money. My worst efficiency with no-sparge was 66%. Typically, I hit 76-78% efficiency and I'm happy enough not to sparge.

Then again, I grind my grain so fine that if I did sparge, I'd likely have a stuck sparge- so there is that to consider. With a course grind, a sparge might be highly beneficial.

I always do a dunk sparge biab and it works great for me. Try and see how it works for you, sounds like it'll work. :mug:

I do a dunk sparge where I just throw the bag of grains into 170 degree water for 5 to 10 min while I heat up the wort. Then I squeeze it and let it drain in a mesh strainer.

I don't get the best effeciency, but I attribute that to my LHBS.

As you will find, there are many different ways to skin a cat when it comes to brewing

I mash with 6 gal and sparge with around 2 gal or more, depending how long I'm going to boil.

I'm going to try this method
Mash appox 5.5 gal BIAB in an igloo cooler
Drain into boil pot should give me about 3 gal
I was then going to sparge the grain with another 3-4 gallons and drain into my boil pot which should put me around 5.0 - 5.5 gallons total

Has anyone tried this? Is it more efficient that just mashing say 7-8 gallons (16lbs of grain) one time and draining into the boil pot?

With equal grain absorption and equal pre-boil volume, a sparge process will always be more efficient than a no sparge process. The actual difference in efficiency will depend on the actual amount of grain absorption and the size of the grain bill.

However, with aggressive squeezing, or even a very long drain without squeezing, you can get lower grain absorption than when sparging without squeezing. This will reduce the advantage of doing a sparge, and in some cases can even be more efficient than sparging (if bag drain times are short in order to get the sparge done quickly.) It's up to each brewer to determine what works best for them.

Brew on :mug:

With equal grain absorption and equal pre-boil volume, a sparge process will always be more efficient than a no sparge process. The actual difference in efficiency will depend on the actual amount of grain absorption and the size of the grain bill.

However, with aggressive squeezing, or even a very long drain without squeezing, you can get lower grain absorption than when sparging without squeezing. This will reduce the advantage of doing a sparge, and in some cases can even be more efficient than sparging (if bag drain times are short in order to get the sparge done quickly.) It's up to each brewer to determine what works best for them.

This seems to sum it up nicely. If I could always fit a full volume mash BIAB'ing I would as it is one less step, but I usually can't on my system so I do a dunk/batch sparge. Stir the grains well when you do your sparge.

This seems to sum it up nicely. If I could always fit a full volume mash BIAB'ing I would as it is one less step, but I usually can't on my system so I do a dunk/batch sparge. Stir the grains well when you do your sparge.

Even though I have plenty of room to mash full volume, I often mash at half volume and do a sparge, or add water post mash. The reason is that it is quicker to heat half my water and get the mash started, then once mashing I can heat the balance of my needed water.

Always lookin to simplify or speed up the brew session without compromising the end product ....

Back