IPA Oxidation issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricshayne

Reaction score
Need help. I mostly brew IPAs and Saisons, Ive never had this problem with my Saisons though. every time I brew an IPA it is fantastic for about a week after carbing and then it starts to turn. Sherry, fruity flavors, murky dark coloration, classic oxidation. Ive tried to eliminate as much as possible any areas where oxygen might be introduced. I bottle so i don't have the necessary equipment to purge with CO2 so I was just looking to any suggestions how to remedy this situation as I know many others have had the exact same issues.
Once again I've never had this problem with any of my other beers, only IPAs

I had the same issue. It turned out to be my water and yeast. Take some time to learn about treating your water and removing chlorine and/or starting from distilled water and building a water profile.

Also, look into your pitching rates and about creating yeast starters.

I hate brewing iPas to this day because of memories like yours. Good luck!

View attachment 296193
Use this for co2 purging. Put a lid on your bottling bucket. Use a ss racking cane, not an auto siphon. Those are the two things I did to bottle better ipa. I keg now. Switch soon.

I was looking at this the other day. Do you have any problems with leaking or discharging? The reviews scared me away.

To the OP, IME hoppy beers will he a struggle until you switch to kegging.

I only used it a few times. I put a new canister in each time. I found no priblems. Maybe buy the one Morebeer sells. But if your using an auto siphon that introduces air like crazy. Look at the tube, bubbles continuously. I switched to a ss racking cane from morebeer

I used to have the same issue man, and you are right, oxidation is a beezy in IPA's. Literally didn't have my first awesome IPA until I started kegging.... Purging is a must....

Back