I need some help deciding if these local OxiCleans are apt for brewing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am looking for some local Spanish active oxygen to buy in Barcelona (since I dont wanna pay too much for ChemiPro o PBW. I can get 2 pounds oxiclean for 3-4 euros while Chemi and PBW can be as expensive as 10-17 euros per 2 pounds).

I was wondering if you could have a look at the components of the possible candidates and tell me if they are perfectly apt for cleaning plastic and kettles. (I’d use the good old StarSan to sanitize, but I need a cheap and good OxiClean to clean first).

I have found 2 products to use….they are both sold as a type of powedered detergent/stain cleaner for clothes. I think they dont list all the chemicals they use in them, but here is what is on the back of the packaging:

Oxiclean 1:

Main chemicals (Sodium percarbonate, Sodium laureth sulfate)
Other chemicals (oxygen-based bleaching agents, non-ionic surfactant, ionic surfactant)

I think the other chemicals include the main chemicals too...and the other chemicals section is more of a description of what the main chemicals can do.

Oxiclean 2:
Sodium percarbonate, SODIUM C12-18 ALKYL SULFATE, C12-13 PARETH-23

I hope someone has knowledge of these chemicals out there and can give a good piece of advice on which one to get or use them at all?!
Cheers

OxiClean is essentially Sodium Carbonate and Hydrogen Peroxide. There are a number of 'Make your own for Cheap' blogs with recipes for making similar, and the commonly accepted recipe is 2 parts water, 1 part washing soda and 1 part Hydrogen Peroxide.

If you can't get washing soda, it's also fairly easy to make it from baking soda.

OxiClean is essentially Sodium Carbonate and Hydrogen Peroxide. There are a number of 'Make your own for Cheap' blogs with recipes for making similar, and the commonly accepted recipe is 2 parts water, 1 part washing soda and 1 part Hydrogen Peroxide.

If you can't get washing soda, it's also fairly easy to make it from baking soda.

Thanks for the message. If I am not wrong, there should be some other chemicals apart from Sodium Carbonate and Hydrogen Peroxide to guarantee the necessary cleaning.

My mix included:
-sodium percarbonate
-sodium carbonate
-Trisodium phosphate (TSP) - I know it is toxic and not legal in the USA (but it is sold in Spain)

I have moved to a new place and cant find these chemicals here. I thought the above mentioned Oxicleans could work as a substitution.

-Trisodium phosphate (TSP) - I know it is toxic and not legal in the USA (but it is sold in Spain).

Small point, but I don't think TSP is 'toxic" per se. It's the P (phosphate) which is not healthy in ditches, streams, rivers and lakes. It does not readily breakdown, even in wastewater treatment facilities. We CAN get TSP 90 which, oddly enough, is phosphate free TSP.

Oxy and TSP make a good beer cleaner - very similar to PBW for a lot less money.

Oxy and TSP make a good beer cleaner - very similar to PBW for a lot less money.
Well, that was the idea behind my mixture, but at this stage I havent discovered where to get the same cheap chemicals I used to buy in Madrid. That's why I am looking at these detergent.

"If" they are "oxygenated" stain removing cleaners, and they have NO scents or perfumes, they will "probably" work.
I use a generic "Oxy-Clean", unscented for my cleaning purposes.

Some real deal "TSP" would be a nice addition!

"If" they are "oxygenated" stain removing cleaners, and they have NO scents or perfumes, they will "probably" work.
I use a generic "Oxy-Clean", unscented for my cleaning purposes.

Some real deal "TSP" would be a nice addition!

Oops......placed the comment on the wrong thread. Sorry.

Yes, more dry material, the "alpha acid" percentage I know nothing about.......I just know of the cleaning properties of "TSP90" from years, (many!), gone by!

It was hard to find for a while, but regular TSP seems to be back on the shelves in all the hardware stores in NJ.

Last time i was looking for the real thing i could only find the substitute.

This time i wanted the substitute and can only find the real thing

:mug:

Latest posts

Back