Belgian Mild

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek1985

Reaction score
I've been kicking around the idea for a while to try a sessionable Belgian brown ale. I'm thinking of modelling it off of an English Mild, with a Belgian yeast strain and Belgian base and specialty malts. Maybe even a little Candi Syrup.

In my head it seems like it would be a baby Dubbel. I'm thinking <4% abv.

This is my rough draft:

40% Dingeman/Weyermann Pilsner
30% Dingeman Pale
10% Weyermann Dark Munich
10% Specialty (a combination of CaraMunich, CaraVienna, Special B, Biscuit, Chocolate, etc.)
10% Candi Syrup (I'm thinking D-45)

I figure use the Mild method of mashing a little hotter (~154 ish)

Probably Achouffe or Westmalle yeast.

Just a thought.....

i think thats a cool idea. Thats mroe specialty malts than id use for a dubbel (% wise) but I guess it makes sense on how you make a session IPA with more specialty malts to account for the low abv.

I think special B and caramunich work best in dubbels. My most successful one by far had like 6oz special B and 4oz caramunich, along with 2 lb candi syrup, for a 5gal batch. IMO special B creates the defining flavor you find in dubbels (apart from yeast) so id definitely include it

IMO special B creates the defining flavor you find in dubbels (apart from yeast) so id definitely include it

I always here this but have never seen evidence that the Belgians use it. Seems to be a Belgian style or American style thing.

That being said, I think it's perfect for this application.

yeah Belgians have their secret time proven methods even though special B is a Belgian malt in itself. Im guessing the ones without it have a longer boil for more caramelization and the special B malt was developed to mimic the same flavor

with the low <4% abv. 10 % candi sugar is not going to be that much like 6oz.

I would either leave out or use honey or table sugar. (unless you have it left over from another batch)

with the low <4% abv. 10 % candi sugar is not going to be that much like 6oz.

I would either leave out or use honey or table sugar. (unless you have it left over from another batch)

I have some left over. I was going to leave it out but thought it appropriate.

yeah Belgians have their secret time proven methods even though special B is a Belgian malt in itself. Im guessing the ones without it have a longer boil for more caramelization and the special B malt was developed to mimic the same flavor

I was reading a post recently on the AHA forum where someone was looking or the Gordon Strong PowerPoint on "Designing Great Dubbels".

Denny chimed in and was comparing the "old school" North American Dubbel method of tons of specialty malts. This was evidently before the wide availability of syrups.

I guess people's reliance on Special B stems from that. Sort of like homebrew dogma.

If you use a good quality candi syrup you can go easy on the special B or leave it out. At least that is true with the D-180 from candisyrup.

If you use a good quality candi syrup you can go easy on the special B or leave it out. At least that is true with the D-180 from candisyrup.

I might use a bit of caravienna, biscuit and chocolate for this.

I often describe dark mild as a very weak dubbel without the Belgian yeast. Dark without roast flavours, gentle hopping, light body, fruit from sugar and yeast.

I'm going to use pilsner, pale and dark Munich as a base with special B, biscuit and some d45

Back