Mixed bag of free corni kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sareinhart

Reaction score
A buddy of mine gave me 6 old corni kegs. :rockin: They're old. look used and are dirty on the outside - but were very clean on the inside.

My general question is - what do I need to do to get them ready to use apart from cleaning the heck out of them and replacing all the seals?

My specific question is about the posts. There is a hodgepodge of ball lock posts. They wrench flats all look different. Some are scored. Some are not. Some have this sort of star looking nut. Some of the wrench flats are tall. Some are short etc... The functional parts all look the same. The posts are all the same diameter and height. I can swap them from one keg to the other. So- the question is - do I have to keep them with the original keg? Can I put an "in" post on the "out" side? Would I be right in guessing if they fit - I'm good to go?

In posts and out posts are different. It's not very obvious at first glance, but they are, and you can't switch around the disconnects for them.

I'd also advise that you keep the posts with the same keg. They might thread on just fine, but not seal as well on one keg as they do on another, causing frustrating leaks.

What were the kegs used for before you got them? If the buddy used them for homebrewing, I'd probably inspect and lube the seals, but only replace them if necessary. Even if they were previously used for soda, a cleaning and lube may be all they need. That said, some new seals probably won't break the bank, and may save you some frustration down the line.

The gas and liquid posts are slightly different sizes. They look the same, but if you stick the liquid disconnect on the gas post, it's going to get stuck.

The gas should have a line or some sort of marking. They are interchangable between kegs.

Gas posts have notches on the wrench flats

Gas:

$(KGrHqV,!lMFDjUEqdRwBRDCbH8,6!~~60_35.JPG

Liquid do not:

$_35.JPG

Alot of my posts look different than that. only a few have those flats.

No worries though. I'm just going to have to poke around on the web to see what I can find for each one. Then, my plan is to photograph each one labeled "IN" and "OUT" so that if I mix them up again I'll be able to put them back.

Thanks everyone for the help/:mug:

well, i'll be dipped. I didn't even notice the notches in the starburst looking nuts. But sure enough. There they are. Fantastic! Thanks! You've saved me a great deal of trouble?:D

Latest posts

Back