Yeast before sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hutteriteBrewing

Reaction score
Hello everybody...kinda need some help here.
So last night I mix my third batch of beer, this is a Coopers Lager now. I had my wort mixed in with water for the 23 liters and added the yeast. To my surprise, I noticed my sugar still sitting there on the table(should gone in before the yeast).
Just to be clear, I now have my wort diluted in 23 liters of water with my yeast on top.
I dumped my sugar in on top, stirred and sealed the pail with an airlock on top.
It's letting of gasses this morning, but its painfully slow.
Guys, what do you recommend? Has anybody else done this before? Should I add more yeast, maybe?

You're okay. The sugar with the other fermentables is there for the yeast to use. Slow start to the fermentation could be due to temperature of the wort, pitching to little yeast, or pitching the yeast dry. Could be just a normal lag time for this beer also.

Did you sanitize whatever you used to stir the sugar in?

I regularly add honeys and syrups to my fermentor at high krausen and never bother stirring. The yeast activity creates enough upwelling to mix everything in.

In the future, I'd recommend rehydrating dry yeasts in 100ml or so of boiled water

It should be fine, as long as you stirred the sugar in completely. This would obviously dissolve it, but also get it to where it's more easily munched by the yeast cells. Lower temps will also slow down yeast activity.

Guys, I get a nice foam on top, but there's also lots of the yeast sitting on the foam. Can't recall that happening in my previous batches...personally, I'd stir it in a bit; but what's your take on it? Foam will disappear over time, might be best to wait for that instead?

This is kinda what it looks like...kinda suspicious of this batch n all. Pardon me for over acting, maybe. Lol I'm new at this :)

IMG-20150717-01197.jpg

Close it up and leave it alone for the next 7 - 10 days or even 20+ days... Everything is fine.

That krausen looks totally normal.

Look forward to having a good beer but don't try to rush things.

Close it up and leave it alone for the next 7 - 10 days or even 20+ days... Everything is fine.

That krausen looks totally normal.

Look forward to having a good beer but don't try to rush things.

Yeah...I left my first batch for 8 days before bottling. Activity on the airlock dropped so I assumed it was ready. I plan to leave this batch sitting for a little while yet...closer to the 20+ day mark. Gotta get my hands on a hydrometer yet

Thanks for the comments, guys

So, if the Hydrometer reading hits 1006, and staying there for the last 3 days now; can I leave it some more or should it get primed and bottled once it stabalizes like that?
Its been in primary 11 days now.

So, if the Hydrometer reading hits 1006, and staying there for the last 3 days now; can I leave it some more or should it get primed and bottled once it stabalizes like that?
Its been in primary 11 days now.

You can leave it a bit longer but you might want to bottle it up within 4 to 6.......MONTHS. It won't hurt the beer at all to sit longer, just don't overdo it.:cross:

If you leave it too many months the yeast will autolyze and stink up the batch, but 20 days, or even 30, is perfectly fine. You can go even longer, but I don't know when you start running the risk of autolysis.

I've left beers in primary for 5 weeks+. Autolysis is pretty rare these days with the higher quality yeasts we use.

How many times have you opened that bucket at this point? Be patient and leave it alone to do its thing in the future.

Opened it for a peek 24 hours in; its in secondary for a week now. (one week in primary).
When airlock stops showing activity I like the idea of moving to secondary to clear up.
I'm happy with this batch at this point.

Doesn't really help anything, rehydrating in wort has same effect as water, just gets them active a few minutes sooner.

Yeah...it does help. Re hydrating in wort is not recommended... Have you ever read "Yeast" by Chris White and Jamil Zainasheff? Check out page 146 if you haven't.

Getting back on the subject of having added sugar AFTER my yeast...I was disappointed with the batch three weeks after bottling because it had a very bitter flavor. However it's been bottled close to 5 weeks now and its definitely been reduced a fair bit. Very tolerable. It's improving even yet...but its my only current available stock for the hot sommer. Cheers. Turned out very well

Back