FG way low and hot alcohol taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DefinitelyJon

Reaction score
I finished brewing a saison today and had checked the gravity and found that it dropped from 1.059 down to below 1.000. There's a strong alcohol taste from it. I've never had a beer drop that far. I used Belle Saison yeast and started fermenting around 66 and let it rise to room temp which is about 73 over a few weeks. I'm not sure if I should just go ahead and keg or if aging might let it mellow out a bit more. Here is the recipe I came up with

Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Equipment: Pot 10 gal - BIAB
Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 73.5 %
Taste Rating: 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 73.9 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 2 13.0 %
8.0 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.3 %
0.75 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 15.8 IBUs
0.50 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.90 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 8.1 IBUs
0.75 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.90 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 8.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 7 -
1 lbs Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 8 8.7 %
Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color
Est Original Gravity: 1.061 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.009 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.8 %
Bitterness: 32.5 IBUs
Est Color: 7.0 SRM
Measured Original Gravity: 1.058 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.3 %
Calories: 192.7 kcal/12oz
Mash Profile
Mash Name: BIAB, Light Body
Sparge Water: 0.00 gal
Sparge Temperature: 168.1 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE
Total Grain Weight: 11 lbs 8.0 oz
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Mash PH: 5.20
Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Saccharification Add 7.73 gal of water at 154.8 F 147.9 F 90 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 168.0 F 10 min
Belles Saison Yeast Dry

147F mash and belle saison going down to 1.000? That sounds extreme, but not out of the realm of possibility. It's a strong attenuator, though I'd expect more in the range of 1.003-1.007 on a light body mash.

What was your actual measured stabilized mash temperature?

It was around 148 throughout the mash. I made a 2l starter the day before and aerated with an oxygen pump a while before pitching the yeast. The fermentation kicked off like crazy and lasted for about 4 days. I read it was a strong attenuator but I didn't think it'd go down that low

Assuming thats the same strain as 3711, ive definately had that happen; ive had batches end below 1.000. I usually make my saisons at an OG below 1.050, cause I dont want a keg of 8% saison.

Give it a little time. The hot alcohol will mellow somewhat. Either bulk age it in a secondary for a month or two, or age it in the keg.

Belle Saison is not the same strain as 3711. They taste very different. Howeve it is a beast like 3711 and it is not uncommon to end up down that low. Mashing at 148 for 90 minutes will make a very fermentable wort that the yeast will get it that low easily.

It will mellow with some time.

I ended up kegging it. I'll just have to wait it out and see if the taste gets better. I knew that yeast was a strong attenuator but definitely didn't expect it to turn my 6.5% beer to around 8% haha

Not experienced with adding it to a Saison - but maybe consider adding some lactose if it still is bleh in a couple months. Of course with kegging who knows -- half pour of this jet fuel and then half of something malty might be just the perfect winter warmer later this year.

half pour of this jet fuel and then half of something malty might be just the perfect winter warmer later this year.

Belle Saison will not produce fusels so the hot alcohol flavor will age out. Fusels do not age out.

Latest posts

Back