Boiling liquid into glass jug - will it break?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twang

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience pouring boiling liquid into a glass jug? I have several 1 gallon glass apple juice jugs and a couple 1 gallon glass growlers. I want to fill them with wort straight off the boil but I'm not sure if it will cause them to shatter...

I've done this before when I was a teenager while making sweet tea without knowing better. It only took 1 time and that did it for me, not only scary but cleanup is a mess.

Is this for starters or for small batches? If it's for starters, get yourself a borosilicate Erlenmeyer flask, and you can boil your starter wort directly in there (open flame only, no electric stove). If it's for small batches, you can ice bath <1 gallon to pitching temp very quickly. But pouring boiling wort into glass is a recipe for broken glass, a mess, and possible injury.

Haha...
I might do a trial with water just to see. Pre heating the jugs might be an option.

Anyone have any experience pouring boiling liquid into a glass jug? I have several 1 gallon glass apple juice jugs and a couple 1 gallon glass growlers. I want to fill them with wort straight off the boil but I'm not sure if it will cause them to shatter...

Why right off the boil?

Don't do it!
Or do... It will be exciting at the very least... Don't hurt yourself.

Seriously though, if it has to be near boiling, just buy the 5000ml Erlenmeyer flasks as recommended above. They'll be able to stand up to the heat, and you should have enough headspace to ferment in there as well.

Five genuine borosilicate 5 liter flasks would be a hella good knock in the wallet.
Somehow I don't see that happening.

Cheers! ("Film At Eleven!" ;))

Ha! Right. There is that... Good call.

Ok, so, if you're going to ferment in 1 gallon jugs, that would probably limit your batches to 3/4 of a gallon or so. To mitigate the risk of 1 gallon boiling wort bombs, you should probably just make 5 one gallon batches... Boil your wort, do you hop additions, your whirlpool additions, chill, rinse and repeat.

I want to do a 5 gallon batch and split it into several 1 gallon jugs so I can hop them differently. Not only dry hop them differently but also flame off additions.

I would pour the volume you want in the fermentor into a separate kettle for the flame out addition, cool enough to pour into a pre-warmed jug/fermentor. The remainder in the boil kettle could be kept hot, but less than boiling.

Back