How do I add potassium sorbate and campden tablets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerB0B

Reaction score
I want to protect my wine when it is done and make sure there is no activity still going on that would pop out the corks. I want to know how I can add potassium sorbate and campden tablets to my wine before bottling. Would I rack it to a different container or bucket and then stir in the potassium sorbate and campden tablets? Would adding them make it OK to stir since it would kill off any contamination and remove oxygen from the must that may be introduced from stirring? Can I bottle my wine immediately after adding these ingredients? I'm wondering if adding the proper amounts and stirring would disolve it evenly throughout the must so that when I bottle it will still have the proper amounts it needs.

Sorbate really isnt needed unless you are sweetening your wine. Sorbate does not kill yeast or clear wine - it inhibits yeast reproduction. If your wine is clear (can read thru the carboy clear) then your corks should not pop.

Having said that - dissolve your crushed Campden tablets and Sorbate in wine or water, add it to an empty carboy, and rack your cleared wine on top of it, leaving any lees behind.

You can bottle immediately, but if sweetening give it a couple days to make sure fermentation doesn't restart.

If not sweetening, you are OK to just use the Campden tabs. They do help with degassing but if your wine is crystal clear it should be properly degassed.

Campden tabs are used 1 per gallon. Check your bottle for sorbate dosage.

Back