Pilsen LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ster

Reaction score
My last few brews I have used Pilsen instead of xtra light.... very happy with the results, even though the text books say Pilsen is for Pilsners, and only Pilsners.

Sometimes I haven't even steeped any grains.

Very clean. Very clear. The hops are very prominent, even at 20IBU-ish they are noticeable. Great summer Ales.

IS there really much difference between Pils and XLite that you would notice? Anyone else use Pils?

I have wondered that too but my LHBS says it is same. I suspect it might depend on the supplier but if it makes a good beer, does it really matter if is Pilsen or extra light :rockin:

I think it's perfectly acceptable using a Pils LME as a base for most beer styles.
The Lovibond rating is somewhere in the 2 degree range. This is probably the lightest I've seen in an extract.

This thread caught my eye because I've had my eye on the Briess Pils 33lb growler. I purchased a Briess Golden LME 33lb growler and used with steeped grains it on a batch of Dortmund lager I have lagering now. Nice golden color but it hasn't cleared yet. So I'm waiting to see what color it yields.

Briess states the lovibond at 4-6 for this LME if I am not mistaken.

2 things to note:

1) The color changes as the LME ages, so it will darken over time if not used fairly quick or stored well. Also boiling LME automatically will darken it to varying degrees

2) If brewing with LME ( or DME for that matter) buy in bulk! It's much cheaper! If you look at the cost of a 3.3 or 6.6lb can, it can cost $9-$14 USD. If you shop around on-line or your favorite Supply store, you can pick up (for example) one of these Briess 33lb growlers for around $60 USD.

good luck!

I've noticed the same with Pilsen DME. Definitely the way to go for blondes and light colored beer, but when I've tried golden light it seems to have a more English malty style flavor to it. It's made with Pale Ale malt so I guess that was the plan.

I recently did an all-grain pale ale with 2/3's pilsner malt and 1/3 marris otter that turned out amazing, so I'm thinking of making an extact pale ale with 2/3 pilsen light and 1/3 golden light to see how it turns out. I'm a big fan of lighter tasting beers even if its a pale ale or ipa.. I like to see the hops shine through.

I had the same ordeal with my LHBS saying its close enough to extra light...take a look at my tread..."Northern English Brown Ale Feedback" under extract brewing! I have the recipe for a brown ale using pilsen dme

If it works for you, use it. Thinking outside the box and experimenting is part of what makes homebrewing so fun.:mug:

I was unaware that there was a difference between extralight and pilsen extracts. How do they get the lightest color possible without starting with pils malt? Lots of american pils malts are just lighter 2-row. Has anybody ever done a side-by-side of the two? I certainly haven't.

Glad it's working for you! It's important to know what you like- now you know you can use it for lots of different recipes!

I was unaware that there was a difference between extralight and pilsen extracts. How do they get the lightest color possible without starting with pils malt? Lots of american pils malts are just lighter 2-row. Has anybody ever done a side-by-side of the two? I certainly haven't.

Glad it's working for you! It's important to know what you like- now you know you can use it for lots of different recipes!

I think it's perfectly acceptable using a Pils LME as a base for most beer styles.
The Lovibond rating is somewhere in the 2 degree range. This is probably the lightest I've seen in an extract.

This thread caught my eye because I've had my eye on the Briess Pils 33lb growler. I purchased a Briess Golden LME 33lb growler and used with steeped grains it on a batch of Dortmund lager I have lagering now. Nice golden color but it hasn't cleared yet. So I'm waiting to see what color it yields.

Briess states the lovibond at 4-6 for this LME if I am not mistaken.

2 things to note:

1) The color changes as the LME ages, so it will darken over time if not used fairly quick or stored well. Also boiling LME automatically will darken it to varying degrees

2) If brewing with LME ( or DME for that matter) buy in bulk! It's much cheaper! If you look at the cost of a 3.3 or 6.6lb can, it can cost $9-$14 USD. If you shop around on-line or your favorite Supply store, you can pick up (for example) one of these Briess 33lb growlers for around $60 USD.

good luck!

I noticed the 33 lb growlers online that figure out to about half the cost of the 3.3 lb cans that I've been buying. I brew in small batches and use just 3.3 lbs. at a time. Is it possible to split the growler into smaller quantities? Is it necessary for storage purposes? My LHBS has the growlers for sale so I'd like to take advantage of the savings but don't want any spoilage.

I noticed the 33 lb growlers online that figure out to about half the cost of the 3.3 lb cans that I've been buying. I brew in small batches and use just 3.3 lbs. at a time. Is it possible to split the growler into smaller quantities? Is it necessary for storage purposes? My LHBS has the growlers for sale so I'd like to take advantage of the savings but don't want any spoilage.

I used them for a long time. After opening, I'd use them for a few months, and just cap and store in basement (60 to 70 F). After a few months, (after using about half), I pour it into storage containers and store in the fridge. Keeps for a long time.

There is a number on the front of the container, I can't remember the order of the numbers, but it gives you the date of production - look carefully. Make sure you get the freshest one they have. My LHBS had some that were a year old.

I also saved the containers and use them for small batches of beer. You can drill a half inch hole in the cap and use the same type of grommet they use for buckets to hold an airlock (you can buy them from your LHBS, or hardware store). I also make a seal for the lid out of seal material from the hardware store, but I'm not sure that is necessary. They hold about 2.75 gallons, are thick food grade HDPE. I often split batches; put half in one of these with some type of addition (fruit, oak, coffee, chocolate, etc) and bottle the rest.

Back