Apple cider from ginger beer plant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkychef

Reaction score
Im just wondering if anybody has made hard cider from a ginger beer plant? Ive got a ginger beer plant that ive always have going and was thinking today that it looks like it might work.
Do you think it might work or do you think the alcohol will kill it before it gets any where.

Should work just fine, so it has yeast and lactobacillus in it, would this turn out to be like a sour version of hard apple cider? Take some pics and give us some tasteting notes, that farmhouse sour kind of cider appeals to some people (we like crisp and clean) so give it a go, I think you have to watch the sulfite levels so it doesnt scorch your bacteria. WVMJ

Well i started with just 250ml of juice and added some gingerbeer plant. Im going to let ferment for a while then add it to 1ltr of juice so that I dont get too much ginger flavor so I can see what the end flavor could be.

How do you get ginger flavor from yeast and bacteria? Is there some ginger root in there somewhere? WVMJ

I have a ginger plant that you keep feeding and it just keeps fermenting but you keep adding sugar and ginger. So I added some of this mixture to the apple juice. This mixture has a very strong ginger bite to it and not to keen to have it in my cider. So after its fermented i will decant it like a starter and use it for a larger batch that will be minus the ginger that was added from the GBP

Back