Possible to extract brew a 20's lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugilist

Reaction score
If any of you are familiar with the name Hensler Beer, it was brewed in Newark from the late 1800's until about the 1950's. My great grandfather and great uncle were both brewmasters there for quite a long time.
My nana is 85 and doing great. Over the holidays I told her I was getting back into homebrewing and she said she should try to find some of the old Hensler brewery documents for me.

If she could find vintage recipes for this beer, is it possible to calculate it down to small scale for extract batches? Is extract even a viable option, as I am sure they did it the "old fashioned way"? This would be a truly awesome experience, and I am but an amateur homebrewer!

Certainly and this is just the place to post old recipes. Any grain recipe can be converted to extract and almost all of the malts available back then have modern equivalents.

I made a 1906 Mild Ale last winter and the year before was Ben Franklin's 300th, so there was a nation-wide contest to re-create a tavern ale of that time. I don't know how close it was, but the batch I made was fantastic! Used a bunch of corn and some molasses.

Pugilist said:
If any of you are familiar with the name Hensler Beer, it was brewed in Newark from the late 1800's until about the 1950's. My great grandfather and great uncle were both brewmasters there for quite a long time.
My nana is 85 and doing great. Over the holidays I told her I was getting back into homebrewing and she said she should try to find some of the old Hensler brewery documents for me.

If she could find vintage recipes for this beer, is it possible to calculate it down to small scale for extract batches? Is extract even a viable option, as I am sure they did it the "old fashioned way"? This would be a truly awesome experience, and I am but an amateur homebrewer!
Wow, brewing some history has to be a heck of an experience. I don't know if it's top secret, but if it isn't, I'd be willing to give the recipe a shot as well. I've always wanted to try a beer that came before the BMCs.

Hello, I came up on your posting while looking for a Hensler recipe. I am descened from the Jacquillard family, part of the original Lorenz & Jacquillard brewery in Newark. Joseph Hensler took over the brewery later. The Jacquillards were brewing in the Alsace region of France before coming over.

I am an amateur home brewer in VA, and would love to make a beer that was made in the brewery that my family worked in. Were you able to come up with any?

Thanks for the interest!

Latest posts

Back