Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing CFC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chromegelatin

Reaction score
Has anyone built one of these or seen one?
I was thinking of taking a 1/2" corrugated stainless steel tube and putting it in a 1" Corrugated. Not cheap, but it should provide the benefits, of a convoluted CFC and stainless.

http://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=+solar++piping&i=SST

The only two things I'm stuck on are fittings for the end to make it work and overall length required.
The Chillzillas and other convoluted are only 12-13 feet. I live in the upper/midwest almost west so ground water temps are hardly ever over 60. So I think that should be enough. Any insights?

Thanks in advance!

duda-cstub-table.png

Last edited:
Are you sure you want to go stainless for a chiller? The lengths you were talking about are for copper, either you'd have to significantly increase the length of SS to match performance or run the chiller a longer time.

It is highly resistant to corrosion and heat loss. Traditional copper piping loses heat 20 times faster than stainless steel tubing due to the much higher heat conductivity of copper

The fittings will also take some work:

The installation of fittings does require a special tool
We do however, offer a fitting installation service at our facility

Depending on how corrugated the tubing is, it could be a pain to clean. Gunk could settle into the grooves, imagine if it dried out. It does appear that it's much more bumpy than the convoluted designs (which literature suggests is a twisting action on the tubing).

Are you sure you want to go stainless for a chiller? The lengths you were talking about are for copper, either you'd have to significantly increase the length of SS to match performance or run the chiller a longer time.

I would also recommend going with copper. It works great and isn't to expensive.

Depending on how corrugated the tubing is, it could be a pain to clean. Gunk could settle into the grooves, imagine if it dried out. It does appear that it's much more bumpy than the convoluted designs (which literature suggests is a twisting action on the tubing).

That's a good point. My main thought was to the ridges providing turbulence. However, the valleys of a convoluted tubing are parallel to the flow and these are perpendicular. Those valleys probably are more likely to retain material.

The benefit of stainless being it's corrosion resistance. More along the lines of cleaners and soaking and what not. But yes copper has better thermal transfer. Although I've heard when it comes to regular tubing at the thicknesses involved there isn't that much difference.

Thanks for your input guys/girls! I'm abandoning this plan for right now.

Yeah ss has more corrosion resistance, however if you clean your cfc right after using it there really isn't that much of a reason to use something so caustic that you would need ss. The adivce would give is build it out of copper and spend the extra cash other upgrades.

Back