Homemade Brewing Spread Sheet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desabat

Reaction score
Upload Link:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=00827233175939927467

So here's what I've worked on so far. I'm no excel guru, I barely know anything but I was able to put this together which works for me. I used formulas from how to brew and also some that I found online for use in the spread sheet. Overall it was a fun experience, being able to customize it and knowing that I created it is almost as rewarding as creating your own beer!

I was looking for any feed back to improve it. So here's how it works:

You input Volume, Grains, PPG, Color rating (There's a reference for grains in the last tab with this info); for hops you input type, aa% , amount (oz) and time, for utilization theres a chart I made in a separate tab that you'll see where you get utilization by entering the ranges of og and time and it does the utlization calc semi-automatically and transfers it to the recipe spread sheet and calculates ibus.

For the mash you enter your efficiency and grain temp and it calculates strike temp, pre boil volume, mash thickness, and pre boil gravity.

The yeast section is still a work in progress it already does some things but Im mostly inputing data from other software for the recipe.

Well Done!
I can appreciate the satisfaction you get from building a tool (in this case a spreadsheet), to help make a job easier.
Over the past couple of weeks, I built my own spreadsheet to help with my brews because I can't find downloads that do what I want. I also use How to Brew as a reference for some formulas.
What you've built is pretty cool. Since you asked for feedback, I humbly make these suggestions;
1. Use drop down menus. Excel has a feature called "data validation". I like to make a separate sheet with data lists. Then I use the data validation function to reference these lists for things that are repeated. Example: When I click in a cell for hops, a drop down menu appears and I need only select my hop from the list to have it shown in that cell. I don't need to type Willamette every time.
2. Use VLOOKUP. I just learned about this during my own spreadsheet project so I'm by no means an expert on it. The idea is that since a word always has certain numerical values, just enter the word and have Excel look up the relevant numbers and do the calculations in the background. For instance, Willamette hops are always 5% AAU. When I select Willamette from my drop down menu, Excel can use the word to find a number to calculate IBU's. I'm sure that I over simplified this but I can try to explain more if you like.
Overall, great job. I see that you have included things in your spreadsheet that I never consider, (I do strictly extracts). I wish more of us would develop and share our own software solutions. The popular programs just don't quite fit every situation, but math is math and numbers don't lie.

(Batchlog cell i32, there's only 1 I in airlock. Interface cell j2, 2 E's in toffee.)

I hoped I have helped and encouraged you. It seems we share hobbies of beer and spreadsheets. There ain't no support group for that, we need each other.

Well Done!

I can appreciate the satisfaction you get from building a tool (in this case a spreadsheet), to help make a job easier.

Over the past couple of weeks, I built my own spreadsheet to help with my brews because I can't find downloads that do what I want. I also use How to Brew as a reference for some formulas.

What you've built is pretty cool. Since you asked for feedback, I humbly make these suggestions;

1. Use drop down menus. Excel has a feature called "data validation". I like to make a separate sheet with data lists. Then I use the data validation function to reference these lists for things that are repeated. Example: When I click in a cell for hops, a drop down menu appears and I need only select my hop from the list to have it shown in that cell. I don't need to type Willamette every time.

2. Use VLOOKUP. I just learned about this during my own spreadsheet project so I'm by no means an expert on it. The idea is that since a word always has certain numerical values, just enter the word and have Excel look up the relevant numbers and do the calculations in the background. For instance, Willamette hops are always 5% AAU. When I select Willamette from my drop down menu, Excel can use the word to find a number to calculate IBU's. I'm sure that I over simplified this but I can try to explain more if you like.

Overall, great job. I see that you have included things in your spreadsheet that I never consider, (I do strictly extracts). I wish more of us would develop and share our own software solutions. The popular programs just don't quite fit every situation, but math is math and numbers don't lie.

(Batchlog cell i32, there's only 1 I in airlock. Interface cell j2, 2 E's in toffee.)

I hoped I have helped and encouraged you. It seems we share hobbies of beer and spreadsheets. There ain't no support group for that, we need each other.

Hey! I appreciate the input and will definitely look into adding those features to my sheet. I see it as a document that will change over time as i learn new tricks. Im glad you liked it hopefully it gave some ideas for your own sheet.

Back