Big Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frozennorth

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Next weekend is the AHA Big Brew and the day of our local spring meeting of the Zymurgist Borealis here in Fairbanks. There was talk last Fall about doing a Big Brew, but there does not seem to be a lot of interest. My issue is that we always meet at a local campground for our meetings, with no water. There would be no way, outside of submersion into the Tanana River to chill the wort after brewing. I do not have a no electric pump to utilize my wort chiller. Any suggestions? I am thinking about just getting up early that day and brewing at home.

Next weekend is the AHA Big Brew and the day of our local spring meeting of the Zymurgist Borealis here in Fairbanks. There was talk last Fall about doing a Big Brew, but there does not seem to be a lot of interest. My issue is that we always meet at a local campground for our meetings, with no water. There would be no way, outside of submersion into the Tanana River to chill the wort after brewing. I do not have a no electric pump to utilize my wort chiller. Any suggestions? I am thinking about just getting up early that day and brewing at home.

How big of a boil pot will you be using? If you can get a tub that is pretty big, set your pot in there and use the water from the Tanana to cool it. That water should be pretty cold now and when the water in the tub starts to get warm, just replace it with some colder water from the river. Shouldn't take you over 30 minutes for a 5 gallon batch with 3 exchanges of water.:rockin:

Place your bucket fermenters or better bottle fermenters directly into the river once you have the bung in and sealed? Super cold moving water shouldn't take too long to chill it down, especially if you shake the fermenter every 5 minutes. Bring your waders! that assumes you can chill it down to 140 or so first. I wouldn't put wort over 150F in my fermenters

I will take my 5 gallon kettle and I am sure that I can get someone to bring something big enough to set it in. I am guessing that the water, which is still mostly frozen, is at about 34-36 degrees. Might be a cool story to tell. I shall brew!

Back