Astringency issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewkyBrown

Reaction score
I just tried my hydro sample from a pale ale that has been fermenting for a well and a half. This may of been a mistake as I detect a real mouth puckering dryness. I also have noticed it in another pale ale I have kegged.

I have researched online and found that mash ph and sparge temp could be a cause.

My mash ph is only as accurate as the test strips so it could be this and my sparge water is always around 168f so this should be ok.

Another thing I read about was the brown scum that dries into the primary is very astringent. I suppose this could be a problem as I do move the carboy around during the first few days.

Am I worrying over nothing here or have you guys had astringency issues and been able to sort them. I will leave the beer to sit at least another week or so before I keg. Maybe it will be good then.

Be aware that yeast and other particulates in young beer can add to the perception of bitterness and astringency. Its possible that this problem will lessen after the beer has fully cleared. However, if you aren't performing some form of external acidification, then it is possible that you have extracted some tannins during your mash. In addition, if the kettle wort pH was high, the hopping can be made rough. Brewing water chemistry can be very important in avoiding these problems. Visit the Water Knowledge page of the Bru'n Water website to learn more.

Thanks to mabrungard and his incredible software bru'n water, I discovered that my astringency problem was caused by my waters 9.2 ph during the sparge extracting tannins. A little lactic acid cleared it up. Follow his advice and you will great. Thanks Martin!

Thanks guys. I will spend some time researching the water info. Hopefully this batch is fine. I'll try it again when it's kegged!

Back