priming sugar problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdindy

Reaction score
So I just bottled an IPA with priming sugar and used an online calculator to find out how much sugar to use. It said about 2oz for 4 gallons for 2.5 volume of CO2. As it turns out after I bottled I was looking at the keg with sugar and not bottle eith sugar, so I should have really used about twice that amount.
My question is will it come out decent enough that I should just leave it or will it be so flat im better off just uncapping and adding carb drops?

if you are saying that you need twice the sugar content and then asking if you should add it, the answer is that it's up to you...

i've done it before. it take a god awful long time. open ever bottle, carefully pour back into bucket so as not to oxygenate, add needed sugar (based on volume in bucket, which will be close but may not be exactly what you had before due to loss from your last bottling round), and then re-bottle.

all that work vs weakly carbed beer...your call...

I guess that was what I was asking sorry for the confusion, I don't want to ruin the whole batch so I guess I will just suck it up and open all the bottles and just add some carb drops.

You already have half the sugar required for a carbonation level of 2.7 volumes.

You may have to cut each carb drop to provide just the extra you need.

thats true, they have some small ones the the local home brewing store I think I am going to get, want to salvage this batch best I can.

Forget the carb tabs. Figure out how much sugar you'd need and convert it to teaspoons of table sugar. It won't be exact but it'll be very close and get you your proper carb level.

Gently pry up each cap, add sugar through a funnel and recap with the same cap. It works. Use a I funnel as sugar on the rim of the bottle can interfere with the seal

Forget the carb tabs. Figure out how much sugar you'd need and convert it to teaspoons of table sugar. It won't be exact but it'll be very close and get you your proper carb level.

Gently pry up each cap, add sugar through a funnel and recap with the same cap. It works. Use a I funnel as sugar on the rim of the bottle can interfere with the seal

This can be done, but there is the risk if instant foaming from the nucleation points created, the grains of sugar, in a partially carbonated beer.

It's a time consuming process, but probably worth the effort.

I found I was light on DME on bottling day, but I bottled anyway. Big mistake, undercarbonated bottles.

I have always bottled with DME in solution, so I made another batch of bottling solution, wiped the tops of all the bottles with vodka, opened and added additional bottling sugar solution to the individual bottles and recapped the bottles.

Two weeks later I was drinking well carbonated beer. I called the batch Reconditioned Brown Ale.

Do yourself the favor and recarbonate.

This can be done, but there is the risk if instant foaming from the nucleation points created, the grains of sugar, in a partially carbonated beer.

True, but I was under the impression he just bottled. This also works great with some dry champagne yeast if you find your big beers don't have enough viable yeast to carbonate

True, but I was under the impression he just bottled. This also works great with some dry champagne yeast if you find your big beers don't have enough viable yeast to carbonate

Yes, I should have added something like, There is little risk of foaming if you can add the additional sugar before the yeast have begun producing CO2 from the first addition.

I would measure out the appropriate amount of sugar for the whole batch, add just enough water to dissolve it into a syrup,(preferably the exact same volume as the sugar) and boil it. If each bottle needs half a teaspoon to reach your target CO2 level, add one teaspoon of the syrup to each bottle(to account for the increase in volume from the H20) and immediately re-cap them. Using a syrup eliminates or at least reduces the gushing problem due to nucleation of sugar crystals

I have a question about priming sugar. I just bottled a peach ale. Came out perfect. One problem I had my brother get the priming sugar ready and didn't realize he used 1 pound of sugar as opposed to the 4.5 ounces it required. So I opened all of the bottles and put it back into the fermenter so I wouldn't have bombs. Was this the right move? Would you guys have done something different?

Back