Corny Keg the rubber is breaking down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theQ

Reaction score
Hello,

I got one corny keg online (kegconnection?) and the black rubber is powdery, every time I handle it I get black marks on my hands.

Anyone know how to seal it or fix it ? I washed well with hot water, it's better but there is no major change.

Anyone knows a good fix for this ?

Thanks!
Q

Ps.
I am thinking to apply ATP-205 that is a auto gasket/oil rejuvenater.

Hey, I have a few that left black marks wherever I set the keg: carpet, floor, sink, etc. The rubber is deteriorating. I tried washing it and while it helped, it wasn't the solution. I have not tried to condition the rubber as you mention, but did try the trusty duct tape on it and that simply covering up the rubber has been effective.

Last couple of times I scrubbed the outside of my kegs I used Bar Keepers Friend & added a little dish washing liquid on the rubber parts. I think it's helping. I don't remember seeing black all over the last time I handled them.

Don't use anything that’s not food safe. Spend a few dollars and replace them.

Don't use anything that’s not food safe. Spend a few dollars and replace them.

That would be impossible. But whatever you put on them doesn't have to be food safe, since it never touches your beer. I hate that black stuff on my hands and hardwood floors (even my kitchen is all hardwood) but it doesn't bother me enough to actually do anything about it.

I had one keg that was really very dirty (the rubber base). I took a wire scouring pad to it and it removed most of the perished rubber (very superficial in most areas) without impacting the base's flatness or stability. It still marks a little if I were to leave it on carpet for long periods (I don't do this anymore).

When I need to place a keg on the carpet next to my kegerator or when I store them in a closet I place them on bits of an toy my kids broke. The drum top and bottoma are a little wider than a keg.

The big drum in the ceter of the picture prod_2366258711.jpg

Extensive scrubbing to remove the stuff that's already deteriorated. Let dry.

Then buy a can of Rust-Oleum LeakSeal clear rubber spray and spray on the rubber parts. Be sure to tape off the posts and SS sides.

url=http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/rubberized-asphalt-undercoating-0477904p.html#.VRl_FZ-c3CI]Undercoating[/url]. Many hardware stores have a liquid vinyl as well.

Before applying any of these I'd highly recommend testing a small test patch. It is possible that something in the coating will be corrosive or solvent. Having the entire handle melt right off the keg won't be much help.

I've had good success with a green scrubbie, a bit of cleanser and water.
It's going to be messy, just scrub and work off the "dead layer" of rubber and rinse when done.

Back