smithwick's irish ale clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabo

Reaction score
I bought some smithwicks irish ale a few weeks ago because the labels peel very easily when soaked in water a bit, and the adhesive is water soluble. Anyway, I would like to make something CLOSE to it and don't expect it to be EXACTLY same. Anyone have any success here? My plan was to us

10 Oz caramel 60L
3 Oz roasted barley
6 lb of light DME
5/6 AAU hop bitterness
Nottingham dry ale yeast

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm not sure about the steeping grain choices or quantities, along with any other hop additions. All other recipes I've seen use wyeast irish ale yeast too, but I hear Nottingham leaves a dryer finish. Am I on the right track?

I bought some Smithwicks Irish ale a few weeks ago because the labels peel very easily when soaked in water a bit, and the adhesive is water soluble.

I don't think I have ever heard of anyone buying a beer because the labels come off easily. Maybe a new marketing campaign!

Sorry, I can't add much about the recipe. The Irish yeast is probably appropriate.

I don't think I have ever heard of anyone buying a beer because the labels come off easily. Maybe a new marketing campaign!

Sorry, I can't add much about the recipe. The Irish yeast is probably appropriate.
Needed bottles for my beer. why not buy bottles with beer in them? It ain't much more expensive than the homebrew store's bottles. Turned out I really liked that beer.

That was like myself and Grolsh bottles. 500ml flip-top bottles cost $4 each here. 500ml Grolsh flip-top bottles at the beer store cost $4 each.

Unfortunately I don't like Grolsh.

That recipe looks about right. WLP004 is the yeast to use.

Back