Testing a corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm still relatively new to this homebrewing game but that won't stop me from going all in. I was short a few bottles and through some luck, I may have stumbled into some reasonably priced corny kegs and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on how to test them for viability.

Is there a tried and true way of ensuring that your corny keg is working?

If not are they easily repairable?

I just don't want to be stuck with some duds and I figured what better place to come than HBT.

Sure... close 'em up, hook a CO2 tank to them and see if they leak. :) If they do, it's probably the o-rings and you can get a set of O-rings for a couple bucks.

I think the only way to test them on the spot is if you have a tank and regulator. Which if you haven't looked into yet aren't exactly cheap, so factor that in when you decide to get into kegging.

I just picked up two myself very cheaply and wasn't able to test them. I don't have a system yet so I'm probably going to do it the slow way and use them as secondaries, if they build pressure I'll know they're ok. If not I have two 5 gallon fermenters

The o-rings and you can get a set of O-rings for a couple bucks.

The seller is throwing in a set of new O-rings so that's at least reassuring.

I think the only way to test them on the spot is if you have a tank and regulator. Which if you haven't looked into yet aren't exactly cheap, so factor that in when you decide to get into kegging.

Hmm that's also a viable option. I may just trust it and go with it. I mean the cost is pretty good even if they just end up being fermenters. Got a ballpark on the price? I've got a couple weeks to get into it anyway. Bottling day is at least 2 weeks away.

Depending where you go and how nice of a setup you want I'd say at least $125 on top of the cost of the kegs for a regulator and tank. Plus you'll probably want a fridge. Thus I've just got the two kegs for the moment... When I go for it I think I'm looking at $200 for a 10 lb tank and a dual pressure regulator.

Depending where you go and how nice of a setup you want I'd say at least $125 on top of the cost of the kegs for a regulator and tank. Plus you'll probably want a fridge...

Luckily for me the fridge in my basement came pre-drilled to fit a keg with taps and all I'd just need the CO^2 probably. I haven't looked much into the cost but thanks for the heads up. Sounds like I should probably just get the kegs then. I'll update on the results.

I look for physical conditions, Dents around the lid. Does the lid fit tight? Is it clean inside? I picked up a nasty one and it was really the pits cleaning. Gaskets are simple. Good Luck.

Have the seller pressurize them before you get there. Test them there, take them home and check them in a few days. If they still have pressure, you're good to go.

Any dents around the lid can be a problem. Lids can be replaced.

Don't waste your CO2 testing a keg for leaks. Build a pressure check connection like the one below, then use an air compressor or bike pump to fill /pressurize the keg.

pressurecheck fill.jpg

Link for materials:
Build a pressure check filler

:mug:

Latest posts

Back