Adding cinnamon to secondary.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie123

Reaction score
So with only 3 1gallon batches of mead under my belt I'm considering whether or not to try adding some Cinnamon to my latest batch. The recipe was 3lb honey, Lalvin D47, yeast nutrient and water to 1 gallon. It has been fermenting since the 1st March.

Any advice on when and how much to add either sticks/powder would really help.

Thanks for the reply. One more Q. As it's been fermenting for 4 days when do you think I should add the cinnamon?

I believe the primary means by which the cinnamon flavor will be distributed through the mead will be by alcohol extraction of the flavoring chemicals in the cinnamon. If that is the case, it would not matter when you added the cinnamon, as long as there was a significant amount of alcohol in the mix. So, whenever you rack it to secondary would be fine, or any time after the primary fermentation has died down.

Please note that this advice is purely based on speculation, not experience.

One word of advice with cinnamon sticks...make sure you're actually getting cinnamon and not cassia. Many sticks are sold as "cinnamon" when they are actually cassia. What's the difference? Cinnamon = cinnamon rolls and apple pie. Cassia = red hots and cinnamon toothpaste.

Cassia is stronger, yes, but probably still suitable. You'd have to taste-test until you got the strength of infusion you wanted.

You can also make your own Cinnamon extract with some vodka and cinnamon sticks or other alcohol. I use Captain Morgan spiced rum to make my cinnamon extract for cider. :)

You can also make your own Cinnamon extract with some vodka and cinnamon sticks or other alcohol. I use Captain Morgan spiced rum to make my cinnamon extract for cider. :)

I was just planning on heating some water with the cinnamon stick in and adding both when I rack the mead but making an extract sounds interesting! Is it a case of soaking the stick in the vodka?

I just throw the sticks in at the beginning. No need for extract; it will get very strong if you leave it in for long periods of time.

Warning: You can always add more, but you can't take it back!

Better brewing through science!

See my Current Mead Making Techniques article here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/current-mead-making-techniques.html

I was just planning on heating some water with the cinnamon stick in and adding both when I rack the mead but making an extract sounds interesting! Is it a case of soaking the stick in the vodka?

Pretty much. A little agitation would likely help... just shaking it whenever you pass by should be sufficient

Latest posts

Back