Great article on the Bud Super Bowl Commercial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted this reply in the comments section of the article(which generally represents humanity, logic, and grammar at its worst).

Great rant! I missed the commercial during the game, probably while grabbing one of my hipster craft brews from the refrigerator. I live in Seattle, so the line about "peach pumpkin ale" immediately made me think of the recent Elysian acquisition. To quote South Park, "If irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking smoothies now". I actually find the ad funny, mostly for the hypocrisy and the silliness of celebrating the culture of pounding nearly flavorless beer. I'm in favor of us all having thick skin on this one, it's not going to change my stance on craft vs macro one bit. Bud is obviously threatened by craft beers growth of market share-which is ballooning even as overall beer consumption is going down. If anything, this ad is more of a pep-talk to their consumers who may feel their drink of choice is not respected. I think it's important to not look down on those who enjoy macro beer and even prefer it to craft. Years ago I gave my macro-loving friend a Lagunitas Pils, I was sure a light would go off, and he'd be amazed by a craft version of his beloved macro. His response: "Tastes like Miller". To each his own! Last thought: Everyone deserves a little ribbing now and then, I think we can handle it. Cheers, everyone

Good article!

I remember when getting bought by Microsoft during the dot.com bubble was such a great thing! I think this is different, mostly in the fact that when MS absorbs someone, they fall completely under the mantle of the Microsoft name for the most part.

I never realized that Hoegaarden was bought out quite awhile ago by InBev. Of course you'd never know this by going to their site...

I guess I don't have a problem with a little guy selling his business to make a tidy profit (they did go into business to make money after all...) I try to support mom & pop businesses in the local area, so if I'm aware that a corp. has come into ownership.. it's time to move on. :(

I may be in the Minority here... but I actually liked the Add.

It's a fantastic example of a company that knows its target market, and knows how to play to them.

This was not an add aimed at bring new drinkers to Bud. This was an add that aimed at getting Bud Drinkers to stand up and say Dammed Straight I love the King of Beers!!!

This was a re-enforce the base add, and i think it was pretty brilliant in it's execution of that.

That said... I'm also not in their target market, so its not going to get me to buy Budweiser.

From AB marketing team: "Hey did you see that article someone posted in Paste Magazine about our commercial, the internet meme, NB's response, and the thread on HBT?!" *high fives team* "Mission accomplished!"

Obviously, I'm exaggerating a little, but they want everyone to talk about it, and that's just what everyone's doing.

Latest posts

Back