Making a mild with more biscuit forward flavor.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwalk4

Reaction score
So I'd really like to master the mild style this year. I brewed Orfy's mild a few times last year and they turned out ok, but I'd really like to crank up the biscuit-y backbone.

I can't find biscuit malt in my area but can get my hands on some Briess's Victory from my LHBS. On the Northern Brewer site they recommend Victory "in larger amounts (up top 25%) in darker beers to bring out more of the toasted biscuit flavors."

Beginning with Orfy's recipe, can some one help me balance this grain bill?

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Nottingham
Yeast Starter: No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1037
Final Gravity: 1009
IBU: 23
Color: 21
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10

5 lbs 7.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain
1 lbs 5.8 oz Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (60.0 SRM) Grain
4.4 oz Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (508.0 SRM) Grain
+ Victory malt??????

Victory will work in lieu of biscuit, but I feel like that is too much crystal. I think it will cover up a lot of the biscuit/toast favors you are going for.

I dropped .5 lbs honey malt in a recent mild and it was a great contribution, that is another grain you could tinker with. That said, I think biscuit is a great malt to add in a mild! Happy brewing!

I've thought about replacing some of the pale malt with Dingemans pale ale malt in milds but have not had a chance to get my hands on any. If you go for Biscuit malt I'd think that around half a pound tops would be fine. I've never seen Victory sold over here but most descriptions sound similar. It depends how biscuity you really want it, but I'd try to keep it noticeable but restrained. I find the biscuit profile to be a bit gimmicky...

Back