Cloudy wort - keggle mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etrain666

Reaction score
I just used me keggle for a mash tun for the first time. I recirculated the wort for about 20 minutes after the mash was complete and then batch sparged.

I have never had cloudy wort before. Is it the recirc? Maybe the dimensions of the keggle do not create a good grain bed?

I just used me keggle for a mash tun for the first time. I recirculated the wort for about 20 minutes after the mash was complete and then batch sparged.

I have never had cloudy wort before. Is it the recirc? Maybe the dimensions of the keggle do not create a good grain bed?

What did you mash? What type of false bottom, screen, manifold do you have?

I've had this happen recently with Rahr 2-row then I read online (AHA website) that the US and Canadian barley crop was sub-par in 2014 leaving malted barley with higher than normal protein in many cases...and I have a full sack of this stuff...I normally use Continental malt and will continue to. Anyway, guess I'll uses this to make starters or try a protein rest.

I used German Pale malt and Pilsener for the base. Not sure which maltster it came from. I use a false bottom in the Keggle. Same as what I used in the old cooler.

I used German Pale malt and Pilsener for the base. Not sure which maltster it came from. I use a false bottom in the Keggle. Same as what I used in the old cooler.

OK, if you are not getting bits of grain in the wort that goes the BK, then it is not a recirc, vessel or false bottom issue. This leave temp (unlikely), Malt, or technique (also unlikely).

Any other equipment parameters you are forgetting to mention? Maybe some oats in the mash or a change in crush?

Rdwhahb. Clear wort makes clear beer. So does wort that is cloudy....except if the cloudiness is from unconverted starch. If you have unconverted starch, your technique is off.

I'm not worried, just curious as its a first with a new mash tun. I hit 70% efficiency on the batch.

I'm not worried, just curious as its a first with a new mash tun. I hit 70% efficiency on the batch.

Kind of a fact out of context...better or worse than before? Seems low to me but I hit 78%'ish on a single-step insulated keggle with a single batch sparge.

Back