Sparkling wine..pr-elif encapsulated yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernardsmith

Reaction score
Does anyone on this forum know of any source that sells small quantities of pro-elif encapsulated yeast. There is a technique to make sparkling wine that makes use of this yeast (it is designed to be added to bottles of wine that are already at 10-12 % ABV without being stressed by the high alcohol content... Pumpkinman (I think is on this forum) referred to it in another forum along with a really simple technique for ensuring that the wine you add this to does not drop any significant sediment even while it is fermenting additional sugar. - Thanks Pumpkinman... but if only I could find a vendor who sells this yeast to home wine makers... Looking for about 30 g of this yeast .

Bernardsmith, I used this method that was originally posted by Zac Brown, it works great! Morewine sells smaller amounts, 83grams, but is currently out of stock.

Bernardsmith, I used this method that was originally posted by Zac Brown, it works great! Morewine sells smaller amounts, 83grams, but is currently out of stock.

Thanks...Yeah I read your post on the other forum. I saw that Morewine sells this yeast but if they sell it (and it is out of stock) I was wondering if someone else might sell it.. I guess I will contact the lab itself and see if they can point me to some one who may sell small qty to me..

I "chatted" with Terry over at Morewine and they say that they are getting an order in the week of Feb 9...

A very nice feature of the encapsulated yeast is that you can totally remove it when you've reached your target carbonation, basically stopping (or at the very least slowing it to a crawl) fermentation.

Pumpkinman, Two quick questions:
The mesh you suggest that we add to the caps to keep the yeast in place... do they come in one size? Are they easily formed into the shape needed? Do they need to be cut?
And the removal of the capsuled yeast... how is that done without allowing much of the CO2 in the bottle to escape? Does that involve two people - one to remove the yeasted cap and the other to bang home a cap without the yeast?
OK - three questions: is removal of the yeast necessary? Can't the carbonated wine live with the cap with the yeast? :confused:
Thanks

Bernard,
I purchased 100 (1 inch) Stainless Steel Pipe Screens 1.0 1", from Brass Pipe Screens, they are cut in a circle, I used my finger to form and push the screen into the cap. Realistically, you can make a sparkling wine in about 2 weeks so I never made more than a few bottles at a time, this way I didn't have to worry about the yeast over fermenting and eating up the residual sugar, I made mine sweet like an Asti Spumante type sparkling wine.
Yes, the wine can live happily with the yeast in it, just test one or two bottles to make sure that you don't over carbonate, this way you'll have a dryer Champagne type sparkling wine without the bottle bombs.
Make sure that you purchase the wire cages, without these you'll have a mess...lol

Absolutely, they're about as soft as those little screens used for some water faucets, very pliable. I see that you're in Saratoga, I'm in Poughkeepsie, if you message me your mailing address, I can get some out to you.

Back