Question about substance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scathecat123

Reaction score
Hello all this is my first brewing attempt. I am using a fastferment conical. I am trying to figure out what the substance is near the bottom of my fermenter. I attempted to attach an image with the circled area being the substance in question. I pitched my yeast 24hr ago. Everything seems to be going soomthly otherwise. Any help identifying would be appreciated thank you.

My name is Jordan and I am new to this hobby.

IMG_20150129_204647.jpg

Looks like trub to me. It is your hot break and cold break and maybe some hop gunk.

How much wort did you put in there? Seems like a lot of head space.

4.5 gallons of liquid total. The conical is 7 gal capacity. Is the large headspace an issue?

I am controlling tempurature with the thermostat in that room. (Its all I have to work with as far as heat goes) however the heat is consistent and reliable. My house is pretty cold so I run the heat constantly to keep the temps in range.

I don't have a Fastferment, but I've had beers create a whole lot more trub than expected. My guess is that the collection ball has filled and has overflown or there is something obstructing the collection ball, because the valve appears open.

I wouldn't worry either way. This brewing business is all about learning and adapting. See what happens with the finished product. Really, don't worry and have have a home brew. If you don't have home brew any decent beer will do.

I'm curious how the fast ferment works out for you. I'm intrigued by the design, but I've been sold on the Speidel fermentors.

Something similiar here. After rinsing my trub and siphoning off the liquid I'm left with this. The carboy sat for about 2hrs when I took the pic. What are the different layers?

yeast.jpg

Thank you everyone for your replies so far. I won't worry about the trub or whatever mixture of substances it may be.

And to Aviator
The fastfermemt was recommended to me by my LHBS. I chose it because of how easy it is to clean and because I thought the design was great.
My thoughts on it so far is that it is great for what it is. An inexpensive conical setup. Obviously there are companies that make much higher quality models (made out of stainless steel I believe) however they can be much more expensive. I've seen some that were $400. Because I'm just starting out I couldn't justify spending that upfront.

So all in all I'm happy with the fastferment.

Back