5500W Element for small(ish) Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul_111

Reaction score
Hi All;

I would like to use one heating element @240V for multiple kettles (3gal to 15 gal) via a Hot Rod. That will require a total length of the element of ~6", as my 3gal kettle is fairly narrow.

I haven't seen very much that was positive with respect to successfully bending elements, so I guess I will need to look into a short element. Does anyone have experience with short 5500W elements? There must be a vendor who coils them...

Thanks,
Paul

I have never seen one so short for that high wattage. If they are near that size they will be high watt density and may scorch. I think you're SOL there. But then again I've got a 3 gallon kettle and it's 10" diameter, so are you sure you can't use an 8 or 9 inch element?

Try habitat for humanity if you have one in the area.
The one around here has several elements still in packaging.
Perhaps you will be lucky enough to find one the right size/shape for your application.

If you're controls will let you I'd bet that you can use the high watt density element as long as you set your controls to not let it run over some % of full power. You will have to do that calculation. If the low watt density elements are twice as long (total length, folds &all) of the high density elements then if you used the high watt density element but dialed back your power 50% you would have the same wattage per inch of element. But your 5500 watt element would effectively be a 2750 watt element. If that's the only thing that will fit your pot then maybe it's the way to go. It's late & I'm just brainstorming. I've never tried it & after you measure the elements you may only be able to run it at 30% power. That would make no sense if the numbers came out that low. Good luck.

All of the kettles are stainless. Are you thinking induction instead?

I know I am. Your kettle is literally only 3 gallons? Do you brew a gallon at a time? 5500w is absolutely overkill. You can either bump that way down to one that runs on a 20a 120v circuit or you can get an induction cooktop. I bet an 1800w cooktop will do just fine. You'll just have to be sure your kettle will work with induction. I have a 3500w induction running on a 240v 20a circuit that works very well with my 10 gallon pot. There was an article in BYO about induction and they were doing similar 5 gallon batches with an 1800w induction cooktop. It is doable. With 3 gallons, you're in easy territory and lack of necessity of 240v service if you ask me.

Where do you brew?

I agree...induction or maybe one of those round coffee pot elements I saw recently mounted in a keg in another thread...
in any case 5500w is way too much for 3 gallons... 2500-3000w is plenty for that.

Unless I am reading it wrong, he did say he wants to use the element setup for multiple kettles ranging from 3 gallons to 15 gallons (at which point he would definitely want 5500W).

What's the most common size kettle (or batch size) that you brew? If you're totally opposed to multiple solutions, I would design your system around the most common size you do, and not taylor everything towards your 3 gallon pot (is that a 1-2 gallon batch?).

Most often, I am brewing ~2 gallon batches. I was hoping to minimize the equipment and have the flexibility of one heater that could be used for the occasional 5gal batches as well. Perhaps I will rethink my approach. I could always use 2 lower wattage heaters in the larger batches, which would keep me at a few 120V circuits rather than jumping to 240V.

I appreciate everyone's opinions!

I agree, two 120V circuits instead of a 240v since you brew 2 gallon batches more often.
240V service, if you don't do it yourself, can be pricey.

What about just running the element (5500) at 120v in the smaller pot isn't it around 1375 watts then? Should be enough for a 2 gallon batch and not scorch.

What about just running the element (5500) at 120v in the smaller pot isn't it around 1375 watts then? Should be enough for a 2 gallon batch and not scorch.

The catch there is that the 5500W elements that I have seen are too long for the 3 gal kettle.

Are they only too long if you use the ulwd elements? Will the lwd elements fit? My ulwd elements are 13" in the pot but my lwd elements are still 12" in the pot.

I guess the biggest drawback I see to an induction set-up is temp control - I really wanted to use a PID to set it for minimal fuss...

What volume are you boiling with that induction cooktop?

Hi Paul.
2 kettles.
22 Quart, and 40 quart.
We never exceeded 8 gallons in the 40 quart
The 22 quart was great for small batches, extract, etc..

We purchased the Commercial "Burton" for just around $200.00
2013-01-08_23-21-31_297.jpg

Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/6530-ProChef-3000-Watt-Commercial-Induction/dp/B0037Z7HQ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422591327&sr=8-1&keywords=burton+3000&pebp=1422591331823&peasin=B0037Z7HQ0&pebp=1422591331998&peasin=B0037Z7HQ0
Both kettles are Tri-Ply.

I have the Induction, just have not used it in over a year, as we switched to making larger 12 to 15 gallon batches.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the biggest drawback I see to an induction set-up is temp control - I really wanted to use a PID to set it for minimal fuss...

Temp control for small batches, extracts, partials work fine with the temp settings available.
We also have an 1800 watt that was just not quite up to par for anything over 5 gallons.

Temp control for small batches, extracts, partials work fine with the temp settings available.
We also have an 1800 watt that was just not quite up to par for anything over 5 gallons.

Thanks!

I primarily make 2.5gal AG batches. If the induction cooker can handle 5 gal and control the mash temp, it just may be the way to go...

Is there a temp probe, or is it monitoring the temp of the surface?

No temp probe, however I always hung one in the kettle.
Temperature is based off surface, changes are almost instant.

The Burton 3000 can also be found on eBay, usually a bit cheaper.

Last edited:
Back