Brewed in the bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernardsmith

Reaction score
I just bought a bottle of lambic beer, Renee Cuvee. The label states that the contents were "brewed in the bottle". I am guessing that this means that the fermenting yeasts and bacteria are still in the bottle but what does it mean for a brewery to brew in the bottle as opposed to in a fermenter? What is the advantage ? What are the challenges?

I don't have one in front of me, but are you sure it doesn't say "Refermented in the bottle"? That's just a fancy way to say bottle conditioned.

Cuvee Rene is a gueuze, meaning a blend of different vintages of lambic, so my definition it can't undergo a primary fermentation in the bottle.

I've heard of people doing primaries in a keg under pressure, but a bottle would almost surely explode if you did a primary in it.

It says in French "Fermentation en boutelle" and in English "Brewed in the bottle" but perhaps you are correct and all that means is that it is bottle carbonated...

I think it IS refermented in the bottle - ie primed so the yeast in the bottle may not be the yeasts used to ferment the grain. And I was so hoping... so hoping...
C'est la guerre, C'est la vie

As Calder said, Cuvee Rene has live bugs, so the sediment is technically harvestable.

Technically , I am sure it is "harvestable" but if the yeast added is added to prime the beer and the added yeast is a) killer and b) not the same as the yeasts used in fermenting the wort then you harvest a different culture from the one you thought you were harvesting... (I am about to make some elderflower wine sparkle. I used 71B to ferment the must but I will be using a very different yeast to carbonate the wine...If someone was hoping to harvest 71B from the bottle they will be plum outa luck... )...

Geuze is carbonated by mixing old and young lambic and allowing it to further condition for up to a year. It is not generally reyeasted. I have used Cuvée Rene dregs several times with no ill effects.

Technically , I am sure it is "harvestable" but if the yeast added is added to prime the beer and the added yeast is a) killer and b) not the same as the yeasts used in fermenting the wort then you harvest a different culture from the one you thought you were harvesting... (I am about to make some elderflower wine sparkle. I used 71B to ferment the must but I will be using a very different yeast to carbonate the wine...If someone was hoping to harvest 71B from the bottle they will be plum outa luck... )...

Yup, totally know what you're saying, but that's not the case with Cuvee Rene.

See my original post, but to clarify: It is carbonated with young lambic that isn't done fermenting. It gets fermented in the bottle by the same yeasts/bacteria that have been in it from the start. No added anything.

Back