Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjsinnott

Reaction score
My fermentation just started, a little less than 24 hours since the pitch. Is it okay to shake up/aerate the carboy after the fermentation has begun?

Step away from the fermenter and let the yeast do what it has been doing for thousands of years.

You will have beer.

Step away from the fermenter and let the yeast do what it has been doing for thousands of years.

You will have beer.

^This.

They would probably use the oxygen you introduced, but at this point you would gain no benefit.

The yeast breath oxygen. Contrary to popular thought, they do not consume sugar as food. The food is the nutrients in the wort. What you want is good levels of oxygen at first so the yeast reproduce. When the free oxygen disappears, the yeast crack sugar molecules to produce free oxygen and continue to breath. Alcohol is a by-product of this function.

Day four of fermentation. Days two and three showed a really good rate, bubbles in the airlock almost every second. Checked the brew today after work and a dramatic slowing of fermentation, one bubble every 10 seconds. Why such a dramatic reduction in fermentation?

Day four of fermentation. Days two and three showed a really good rate, bubbles in the airlock almost every second. Checked the brew today after work and a dramatic slowing of fermentation, one bubble every 10 seconds. Why such a dramatic reduction in fermentation?

That's how fast yeast can work sometimes if u don't look you'll miss any activity. Wait til the 10 day mark and check your gravity that'll tell you all u need to know I bet you'll b surprised then at day 14 check it again just to make sure it hasn't moved but it'll prob b done. Then go from there cold crash, keg, bottle but have no worries yeasts do amazing things. And there's only a small window when you'll really see the violent active fermentation it continues after that as the yeast eat up all the byproducts but you won't see any airlock activity from that.

Thanks for the advice. I'm one of those new brewers who notices everything and since it is a new process I tend to think "what did I do wrong", lol. Thanks again. I will be patient and let the yeast do its work.

Thanks for the advice. I'm one of those new brewers who notices everything and since it is a new process I tend to think "what did I do wrong", lol. Thanks again. I will be patient and let the yeast do its work.

Dude I was u less than a year ago 20 batches later you'll realize it's really hard to screw up making beer. Yeast even the same strain can do diff things at diff times just get to know your system and your routine be anal about keeping things sterilized that need to be and always double check the gravity and you'll b fine. I've had beers take off in a couple hrs and then the same us05 the next batch took 48 hrs using the same techniques. But in the end at day 10 when I do first gravity check all is always wel so I get the over analyzation it's what we as new Brewers do but get a few more batches done watch your process and watch the diff yeasts when do their thing and you'll get to know in time what does what and when

Latest posts

Back