Bottle conditioning at 42 F - advantages? Drawbacks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

br3wme

Reaction score
My Aventinus clone recipe says to bottle condition at 42 F for three to four weeks. I've always bottled at room temp (~70 F)....is there any sort of advantage to me conditioning at such a low temp?

I am using Wyeast 3068 if that helps.

Thanks!

Wow.... that seems low. The Temp. range for that yeast bottoms out in the low 60's. Would it even carb up that low?

I think I'd keep it in the 60s but I'm no expert... did the original recipe call for 3068? Any chance it's a typo? Or meant as post-carbing cellaring temp?

I'd leave them at room temp until fully carbed, and then store at 42°F. Might never carb at 42.

Brew on :mug:

42°F is pretty low. I doubt you would see much yeast activity there. On the flip side 70°C is extremely high and I doubt your yeast could live through that.

42°F is pretty low. I doubt you would see much yeast activity there. On the flip side 70°C is extremely high and I doubt your yeast could live through that.

Yeah, 70°C (158°F) will definitely kill the yeast. But then, you're the first one to bring of 70°C in this thread :confused:

70°F is fine for Wyeast 3068 which has a listed working range of 64°F to 75°F.

Yeah, 70°C (158°F) will definitely kill the yeast. But then, you're the first one to bring of 70°C in this thread :confused:

70°F is fine for Wyeast 3068 which has a listed working range of 64°F to 75°F.

I apologize! I totally meant F - I just went back and corrected it. I plan to carb at 70 F...the recipe says " Top up to 5.0 gallons (19 L) and aerate well. Ferment at 60 °F (16 °C) and condition beer for three to four weeks at 42 °F (5.6 °C)". Maybe it means carb at normal temps and then condition at 42 F?

Back